Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Alcoholism...maybe?
Is it really only one glass of wine?? I'd say you have nothing to worry about alcoholism wise. When you're drinking a bottle of wine a day to forget about things before you start drinking, that's when you're an alk. Alcohol isn't the healthiest way to deal with problems, however, so having a wee deek at the advice above is a good idea.

I can tell you only what my experience is, I realized a while back that I had an alcohol problem, and it took me a while to seek help for it. I'm in treatment now, but its a long process and not an easy road. For me what really made me wake up and see that it was a problem was the realization that I couldn't control my drinking, I would start to drink and not stop until I either passed out or ran out. It also had some serious effects on my life, it made me late for work several times, I'd cancel plans with friends because I wanted to drink, I'd get into fights with people I care about because I was drunk, it was a mess. I think what will define what is a problem is different for everyone, but the hardest part is admitting to yourself that you can't fix it on your own, especially for a guy like me.
Richard

Best wishes, Richard. I hope you feel things are getting better for you.

It is a wise thing to become aware early of potential problems. I think alcoholism is a demon that is hard to keep at bay. There is a big difference in having to fight a demon and in celebrating a 21st birthday with one of the new privileges you have been awarded by age (one of the very few by the way Rofl)

Be careful not to drink and drive. Don't drink before going to school or work. Set an amount that you will tolerate yourself having on a daily or weekly basis, and then allow yourself consciously to overindulge occasionally. Don't overindulge twice in a row. Set limits, pay attention, and don't worry until you find yourself exceeding these limits.

Then stop for quite a while, and determine whether you can keep this short term abstinence.

Alcoholism is an addiction that is not controllable. It also takes quite a while sometimes for this to manifest. Be careful, pay attention, but it's too soon to worry.

Been there, done that. Scatter Good Luck

Adeptus: Thanks. Yeah this semester has been much worse than what it was when I started this post, and I started drinking again. I realized it was a problem when I had withdrawals yesterday when I didnt have any wine. So, I locked the wine cabinet up. The withdrawals lasted a good seven or eight hours, but then they stopped, and I have no impulse to drink anymore. I'm pretty sure i stopped myself on the brink, and that's good because I really dont need to add alcoholism to my long list of troubles :biggrin:

So, things will hopefully look up for me lol. and if they dont, I wont use alcohol to cope anymore.

Is there a gay AA meeting where you are? I am an alcoholic myself who hasn't had a drink in 24 years and I can tell you that chances are excellent that you are not an alcoholic...

There are plenty of alcoholics that do not drink and do not have any sobriety at all (dry drunks...GW Bush is a great example and his behavior is exactly that of a dry drunk...never taking responsibility for anything is a tell tale sign)...alcoholism is a complex disease and the reason I asked about a gay AA meeting is that you can attend a meeting anytime and sit quietly and observe or ask questions...it can help you with a greater perspective and understanding if nothing else.

Good Luck to you! I think it is great you are questioning your habits at such an early age.

"O sweetheart put that bottle down, you've got too much talent."

Yosuke, I've been there too. But drinking your problems away will only make them come back twice as difficult. If your friends are given you a hard time tell them where your coming from and if they still can't seem to get the picture then "screw them." you've got enough problems trying to deal with your own inner demons without someone else's coming to bite you in the ass.