Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Query
Does anyone on the forum have autism?
In honesty, I don't resort to doom and gloom intentionally, I also have chronic depression. It is a challenge to interact and have connections. Isolation is something very easy to fall into. I have very little experience interacting casually, and having a casual social life is something foreign to me, even though I crave it probably like everyone else.

Does anyone relate? If not anything else it might bring attention to issues which deserve discussion. Being the focus of attention isn't for everyone.

I can relate on a number of the issues you bring up. I am not autistic, but I do deal with chronic depression, and have all my life.

Since a home invasion a couple years ago, I also struggle with issues concerning social phobia. Prior to issues with the ex that instigated the home invasion, I had a very active, casual social life. These days, not so much. I can honestly say I don't crave it though (other than the occasional urge to go out dancing). Perhaps I would, though, if my sister didn't live with me and/or I didn't have Gideon in my life.

By Autism, I assume that you are in the Asperger's club in the spectrum? While I know how difficult it can be to find the right counsellor....look for someone who can help you condition your social responses and to help you find the things that allow you to function most comfortably in social settings.

Chronic depression can also be a socially restrictive state...and may be exacerbated by your Asperger's and social isolation...that is...it becomes more of a self-perpetuating cycle.

Engaging on-line is one good step...but look for a setting where you might be able to engage with others more in real time...either through support groups or even finding something that you can volunteer for where your efforts can make a real difference in other people's lives as well. I've known several successful professionals who found that this was their lifeline...and they also were high level autists with depression.