Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommedations
I wouldn't reccommed anything created after 1976. Or for that matter recommend either.

I pretty much sit on my laurels when it comes to 'stuff' as more often than not 'best' is the sort of concept that depends on the individual. You may think you have the best p-32 modulator in the world, but I assure you someone else has a slightly different p-32 modulator and will fervently argue that you are wrong about which one is best.

Since I dislike arguing over such things as personal choice and taste (because I'm always right), I figure why bother.

More Kool-Aid, Bowyn?
I bid NO Trump!

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:Another....

Electric Potato Peeler
[Image: starfrit-rotato-express-electric-peeler-...2_alt2.jpg]

I have a Starfrit, which is ok and you can buy replacement blades for it. My mother's was from some other company that's gone out of business and was a bit sturdier.

Regardless? It works for not just potatoes but also apples, pears, and pretty much any kind of round shaped (potato sized) fruit or vegetable that needs peeling. When my neighbor decided to can pears? I loaned it to her and it cut hours off the task, yeah? If I could find one that does carrots, it would be perfect.

If you cook for a family, or in bulk like I do, it's a huge time saver. I got mine for $18.00 from Amazon.

heh, i was going to ask that doesnt it take more time to place a potatoe to that thing than to take a knife and peel it by yourself? like in 10-20sec? Big Grin

mrex Wrote:heh, i was going to ask that doesnt it take more time to place a potatoe to that thing than to take a knife and peel it by yourself? like in 10-20sec? Big Grin

i thought of the same thing. way faster doing it manually. maybe if you had 20 of these things and ran them all at once, it would be efficient.

In some ways the peeler looks cool, especially if you like fried potato skins. Most of the time, though, I just take a stiff brush to the potatoes and use them with the skins still on.

There is a manual version of this that commercial outfits use. Peels apples like a breeze!
I bid NO Trump!

mrex Wrote:heh, i was going to ask that doesnt it take more time to place a potatoe to that thing than to take a knife and peel it by yourself? like in 10-20sec? Big Grin

I can't peel a potato as fast as this thing can peel it. *Shrugs* Maybe some people can yeah? Dunno.

But, when you're peeling 20-30 potato or more? It really saves on the hands. Since I design jewelry (which essentially means I work with 2 pair of pliers or other hand tools for hours at a time - usually one in each hand), I'd rather save my hand fatigue for my work than for preparing a meal. Smile

Another thing that restaurants use, like to peel 50-100 pounds of potatoes is a tumbler style peeler that revolves and rumbles the potatoes over a rough plate to remove the skins while a stream of water washed the skins away. Terribly wasteful. Tosses the nutrients near the skin.
I bid NO Trump!

OKAY............ DON'T think I'm some end-timer or some idiot expecting the apocalyse.....

But we have three large upright freezers... That's because we don't buy many meats from grocery stores. My parents raise a few cows... My grandfather keeps chickens & ducks... and my brother hunts deer, elk. pheasants --- and we have friends who raise hogs. That saves us (the whole family) thousands of dollars a year and we always know how humanely all the animals were treated and that they're clean.

The trouble is thawing things out when ready to cook.... My room-mate Ray fixed that.

Have you ever heard of Thawing Boards????

There are lots of cheapie imitations but the ones that work are the size of large cookie sheets and made out of half inch thick aluminum. You can thaw out steaks or thick porkchops in less than 15 minutes, flipping them once. Roasts and birds take longer but still it's amazing how fast they thaw. Fish and Shrimp thaw in less than 5 minutes. Same with veggies.

No moving parts. No electricity. Just don't put them in the oven trying to prewarm them. If you forget about them they'll stay hot for a couple of hours.

It helps the thawing process to sit the board up on top of upside down coffee cups at the corners so air can circulate under it.

Here's a picture of one of the new ones that's being marketed now. All of the ones we have here at the house are from flea markets and real thick.

[Image: c0c91446665864a70ef0d9202b261bcd.jpg]

Apart from me thinking that the freezers were someplace you could retreat to for warmth in the weather up there, congrats on having them. Wrapping and labeling must be a major task.

Aren't pressure cookers supposed to be useful for frozen stuff?
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Apart from me thinking that the freezers were someplace you could retreat to for warmth in the weather up there, congrats on having them. Wrapping and labeling must be a major task.

Aren't pressure cookers supposed to be useful for frozen stuff?

I guess you haven't been watching the big weather news.... South Dakota days are in the 60s and 70s right now. The highs when we were on the gulf coast were barely in the 50s.... I came in and Jaybird was wearing cargo shorts and a t.... Ray was prancing around in public in skimpy running shorts and a tank top...

Are ya still shoveling snow in Virginny?