Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommedations
talking about freezers, i think my only fridge sprung a gas leak and i have to trash it. it's quite an old model, i think it uses freon. there's no other place/thing the gas could be coming from, so i decided it's the fridge. crap. now i need to buy takeout only and nothing that would spoil overnight. it'll take me effing forever to replace that thing, i'm not really too motivated to go out fridge-shopping. it's a pain in the ass. this sucks.

two of my favorite juices: passion fruit juice and goji berry juice. the goji berry is a recent discovery and instantly became one of my favorites. the former i've been drinking for years now. it's a very strong flavor. goji is a lot more subtle.

[Image: passion-fruit.png]

[Image: namnam-gallery-drinks-passion_fruit-01.jpg]

[Image: 6022059-280x280.jpg]

About 1/4 of an inch...in places.

It was not a directly time related quip.

And I am sort of interested in what Chef thinks of pressure cookers. I keep wavering.
I bid NO Trump!

Get a good styrofoam cooler or two, Meridannight.

And, out of curiosity, what do they do with the rest of the goji? The berries would seem to be painful to part with.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Get a good styrofoam cooler or two, Meridannight.

And, out of curiosity, what do they do with the rest of the goji? The berries would seem to be painful to part with.

i didn't even think of that. thanks! i'll do that. i'll get a couple of coolers till i'm in the mood to go out shopping for a new fridge.

the rest of the goji? i've never seen a goji berry in flesh. how would they be painful to part with?

It's a reference to an old story. Arthur Miller took Marilyn Monroe home for dinner and his mother had matzoh ball soup. Marilyn is reported to have said, "Why Mrs. Miller, this is delicious! What do they do with the rest of the matzoh?"

Meaning that she thought they were gonads.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:About 1/4 of an inch...in places.

It was not a directly time related quip.

And I am sort of interested in what Chef thinks of pressure cookers. I keep wavering.

We recently bought a pressure cooker, and the few times we've used it I'm highly impressed with it!!! I don't know how to describe it other than a crock pot on steroids.

It's definitely NOT your grandmother's pressure cooker!

i recommend Caesar's The Gallic War. it's commentaries on the war in Gaul written by Caesar himself. i just got the book and i already love it. Caesar, to me, is going back to the roots, and reestablishing some connection to the primal essence of life. that's what reading him feels like. it's something entirely fundamental and raw. you don't get anything like that from any contemporary writing.

i think everyone could benefit from reading ancient authors from time to time. it will pull you out of this bubble and wake you up a bit. that's refreshing.

[Image: 51H-e4auqXL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

it's available to read for free on the internet (though i can't vouch for that translation):

Caesar -- The Gallic War
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Meridanight, try your own translation. It is pretty basic Latin and a standard for 2nd year high school students. Learning the Latin is an interesting challenge. And yes, I really should get out my old HS books and go to it.
I bid NO Trump!

don't remind me [MENTION=20933]LJay[/MENTION]! it's been on my to-do list for ages! but it means i'd have to brush up on my Latin. it's really not up to par right now. it's something i want to do, and it will provide an exciting change, but i've been putting it off, and then i have these other projects i'm involved in.....

but thanks for bringing it up. it reminded me how much i really want to read him in original, and i decided i will make room for it this summer. i'll be on the beach at nights this summer translating Caesar (i'll be moving to the seaside for the whole summer)...damn that sounds so good. i will do it. Smile no more putting it off.
''Do I look civilized to you?''