Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion Comes From Ancient Astrology
We've had a lot of discussion about religion on here recently, mainly based on a particular flavour of Christianity.

I came across these videos a while ago and was reminded of them in a discussion with a friend recently. Although I find the ideas presented here compelling I have no way of knowing the accuracy of the assertions made in these films and I don't have the time or the wherewithal to do the necessary research, however much I find them fascinating ... and even if they are presented like conspiracy theories Rolleyes

Does anyone have any comments, or any notion of where to locate credible source material?

I'm sure astrology played a role, along with general mysticism/shamanism and animism as early forms of religion.

It's the almost direct parallels that are interesting though.

marshlander Wrote:Does anyone have any comments, or any notion of where to locate credible source material?
You'll want to look into paleoanthropology as hallmarks of religion, such as ritualized burial, predate homo sapiens. Those videos are actually a bit too recent to give anything other than the origin of modern religions. Reliable, well you can always start at wiki, scroll down to the bottom where they have the citations listed and go from there.

Hi,
To me a religion is a belief and a beleif is formed when one or more people make some things up which is a beleiveable story... I find religion can be used as a form of hope... I used to beleive more in religion when i was younger because I wanted a reason to not to however as i got older my belief went out the window and i learnt a little bit about the spiritual world when i watched two relatives die peacefully in hospital... Since this death doesnt frighten me its just a part of life as what religion is... Many moons ago our ancestors who lived in the BC era of the world didnt have a religion and ive often thought about this but i beleive christianity came around because someone with the ability to heal used their might to create something we know and respect....

Kindest regards

zeon x

That was interesting, marshlander. Thanks for posting them.

I know there is a mention of mazzaroth or plural, mazarot in Job. [Job 38:31-32]

Can you tie cords to Kimah
Or undo the reins of Kesîl?
Can you lead out Mazzaroth in its season,
Conduct the Bear with her sons?
So you know the laws of heaven
Or impose its authority on earth?

There is uncertainty in the meaning of the Hebrew. It could mean, "unsettled" but there is debate if it refers to the zodiac because there is a similar word, mazalot found in 2 Kings [2 Kings 23:3-5] that is translated astrology or constellations. It could also refer to Ursa Major and Ursa Minor. Orion = Kesîl and Pleiades = Kimah.

I'm mentioning this because if I recall correctly, Job is thought to be older than the Torah. My Tanakh just notes that it is "evidently referring to a constellation." lol.

The Kings passage is referring to Hilkiah cleansing the Temple of objects made for "Baal and Asherah and all the host of heaven" and again referred to "Baal, to the sun and moon and constellations--all the host of heaven." So, some zodiac at play there, I think.

I know this is not helpful but I thought it was interesting. Roflmao I feel like I'm off topic. Wink

The other thing that popped into my mind was the 12 stones on the breastplate or hoshen of the ancient High Priest. Each stone represents a tribe of Israel and usually the robes were blue. It just suddenly reminded me of the birthstones of the zodiac and kind of made me laugh/wonder now if there was some relation. I wonder when/time period the stones were tied into the zodiac stuff?

Pretty neat stuff.