Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relocating to London....
Hey guys,

So, long story short -

I'm not from the UK, but have been offered a position with a company based in London. Starting off at £30 000 per year - think that's about £2100 per month after tax etc.

Now, not having a clue what cost of living is like in the UK these days , was hoping you guys could let me know what you think?? Could one actually live on that ?!?!

Will probably end up looking to stay in Hammersmith. Close to the office and can hopefully avoid having to take the tube...

Any thoughts?

I understand that London is one of the most expensive cities in the world.

My sympathies. Start looking for a flatmate.

I googled "cost of living in Hammersmith, England" and saw flats at 1100 sterling/month not uncommon.

Of course, it would make sense to ask the people who have hired you for suggestions, especially since you are coming from afar.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:My sympathies. Start looking for a flatmate.

LOL! Thanks.

Yeah, seems some sort of flatshare would be the best option. A challenge in itself....

I'll be up now, from end October till Dec, so will check things out a bit more then.

Have never lived with anyone before, so this whole flat share idea is making me quite anxious.... we've all heard the horror stories.... Hanged

Sharing a flat with a stranger is scary, for sure. Just be sure you have your own bedroom. You don't want to have to jack off with a roommate,...oh, wait, it he's hot.....haha

Will the company offering you the job help with anything as far as locating and paying for housing?

LMAO! Definitely separate rooms... even if it is a hot flatmate...

The company does assist with the relocation quite a bit, so I'm not too worried. Just have to sort out the details when I'm there next month.

Anyway, who knows.... after spending the next 2 months with them I might decide not to sign with them anyway...

What sort of work is it?
I bid NO Trump!

It's Project Management/Financial systems implementation and Business Consulting. (And yes.... it's about as exciting as it sounds....)

Sounds like you will have to get the proper outfit for making an impression in corporate culture so you had best budget for clothing.

By the way, I hate business, but it can be a good way to make money. Good luck.
I bid NO Trump!

Have a couple tailored suits, so should be fine. It's the same industry I'm in now, so at least a familiar environment