Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSM could happen very soon here
A members bill to allow same sex couples to marry was today drawn from a ballot and will be debated by Parliament - potentially as early as next month.

InvasionMexicanwaveMexicanwaveMexicanwaveMexicanwaveMexicanwave

Oh my gosh really? I need to look at the news more... o_o

Was only pulled from the ballot today Big Grin

I'll be moving to New Zealand until these boofs heads...JuLIAR Gillard and CAMPbell newman get their arses voted out of parliament.

Proud that NZ are not sitting on their hands and waiting to see what the rest of the world does like your Australian counterparts.

Kiid Wrote:... and will be debated by Parliament - potentially as early as next month ...
are you sure?
locally in Colorado; a couple of times, a domestic partnership law was proposed and shot down.

Yep, it's happening here too in Scotland thanks to the SNP :biggrin::biggrin: with the drawback though that pastors/priests etc have the final say in whether or not they wish to conduct the service and aren't forced into marrying a same-sex couple - but still it's about time!

Apparently a huge number of MPs are in favour of this bill. Only one is straight out attacking it and the rest are undecided (but of those around half are tending towards supporting the bill)

The website opposing the bill was attacked (Dos attacks which led to its shutdown) which I find quite disappointing. You should never attack somebody's opinion in that way, this is a serious bill meant to be looked at with serious considerations in mind. I can see the logic of both sides and how marriage as a concept may be offended by a redefinition. But I still think the fact that this bill only changes the definition of marrige in official documentation and all that jazz and not in religion or tradition/culture makes it a fair bill to support.

MidgetGem Wrote:Yep, it's happening here too in Scotland thanks to the SNP :biggrin::biggrin: with the drawback though that pastors/priests etc have the final say in whether or not they wish to conduct the service and aren't forced into marrying a same-sex couple - but still it's about time!

Makes me wonder what the Catholic Church and other "Scotland for Marriage" Churches are going to pull next.

With their sign-and-send post cards, and encouraging sixteen year old school children to vote against the bill antics during the consultation, they managed to make it look like the majority of Scotland is against the change(65% against)...if you don't count the pre-written post cards, and only count people that filled out the official consultation; Scotland is in favour.
They've enabled themselves to skew the results and now cry the Scottish government is being undemocratic for going ahead anyway.

Very sad that Churches still had so much swing in politics. It's a lot easier to rally people when they're religious unfortunately.Sad
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

pellaz Wrote:are you sure?
locally in Colorado; a couple of times, a domestic partnership law was proposed and shot down.

New Zealand is a lot more progressive than most other western nations, including Australia and USA.

For such a small nation the Kiwi's have certainly not bowed to international pressures and every Kiwi should be proud of that.

dfiant Wrote:New Zealand is a lot more progressive than most other western nations, including Australia and USA.

For such a small nation the Kiwi's have certainly not bowed to international pressures and every Kiwi should be proud of that.

Lol remember when we told America, "Nup. No nuclear anything here. You're not allowed." and America went, "o.o you grotty bitch. No more ANZUS for you."

And we don't even mind international pressure. we have so much of the best butter. Look how creamy and relatively cheap.