Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Same sex marriage approved in Taiwan
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/taiw...uyDRk3AOD8
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Taiwanese people are much more open-minded than hongkongers and mainlanders. Great to hear that.

Social change takes time, especially in a global scale. I mean wasn't that long ago that some countries, mostly former Soviet states, it was illegal to watch movies from the west.... I mean not being allowed to see Top Gun, I mean wow...

But yes it is great to hear that more countries are coming around. Just wish the stigma would go away, I suppose that takes much longer...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I sayid jokingly to one of my friends from Taiwan: "Everything is ready, except that I need a boyfriend." Big Grin
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

Sometimes we read nice news... ;-)

MHJG Wrote:Taiwanese people are much more open-minded than hongkongers and mainlanders. Great to hear that.

Do you think there are any specific reasons for that? Or just an observation?

Emiliano Wrote:Do you think there are any specific reasons for that? Or just an observation?

I'm not sure. It can be the culture, government or just people themselves.

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/educati...ments-open

This was one of the recent news of Hong Kong. I'm not surprised Hong Kong government acted like that. If you have time, please take a look the comments. I was shocked and disappointed about those comments. They were already better in English news. In Chinese version of the same news, all comments make jokes and criticise gay marriage.

http://www.cmab.gov.hk/en/issues/equal.htm

Hong Kong government promotes equal opportunities including sexual orientation. I don't understand why marriage is an exception. Hong Kong has mixed culture. People are supposed to be open-minded. The sad fact is they're close- minded and money oriented. That's why Hong Kong is not my place.

MHJG Wrote:I'm not sure. It can be the culture, government or just people themselves.

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/educati...ments-open

This was one of the recent news of Hong Kong. I'm not surprised Hong Kong government acted like that. If you have time, please take a look the comments. I was shocked and disappointed about those comments. They were already better in English news. In Chinese version of the same news, all comments make jokes and criticise gay marriage.

http://www.cmab.gov.hk/en/issues/equal.htm

Hong Kong government promotes equal opportunities including sexual orientation. I don't understand why marriage is an exception. Hong Kong has mixed culture. People are supposed to be open-minded. The sad fact is they're close- minded and money oriented. That's why Hong Kong is not my place.

Well, at least you have a discussion about same-sex marriage in Hong Kong while in mainland we are not encouraged (not that we're not allowed) to talk about sexuality since the government wants LOTS OF BABIES because of the aging population, and they are, as far as I am concerned, in fear of the possibility that the promotion of LGBT may lead to a even lower birth rate.

I feel quite fortunate to live in Shanghai, a city more tolerant with sexual minorities. I assume the same is true for Beijing, Chengdu, or Guangzhou. Yet, that only accounts for a small portion compared to hundreds of other cities in China. I guess if I ever came out to my future colleagues of my age, most of they will be okay with that. That's what I would expect.
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。

[MENTION=24431]Alvin[/MENTION]
I agree that younger generation is better. I'm never afraid to tell my friends my sexual orientation. ( or I don't care they 'unfriend' me because I'm gay. lol)

Have you ever thought about your future gay life in the mainland? I want something more than just a boyfriend, something like marriage, or probably kids, like family. Society needs time to evolve. When coming out affects the career, everyone keeps themselves in the closet.

MHJG Wrote:[MENTION=24431]Alvin[/MENTION]
I agree that younger generation is better. I'm never afraid to tell my friends my sexual orientation. ( or I don't care they 'unfriend' me because I'm gay. lol)

Have you ever thought about your future gay life in the mainland? I want something more than just a boyfriend, something like marriage, or probably kids, like family. Society needs time to evolve. When coming out affects the career, everyone keeps themselves in the closet.

I have thought about my "life" in general, but not "gay life" in particular. Chances are that I may have a boyfriend without getting married. That's the current situation in mainland China, and I don't think things will change at least in my lifetime.

Marriage...such a big word. I could imagine myself in a monogamous relationship (Don't get me wrong. That's the only relationship I want) while marriage sounds a bit overwhelming. How about just "partnership"? I guess I am just in awe with the word "marriage".

Kid is the last thing I want to have in this world. I agree whole-heartedly with Ellen saying that "we just decided we like our conversations not being interrupted and our furniture without sticky grape juice on it." Kids are cute and adorable as long as they're not mine. I really don't want to be a dad though I'm pretty sure I'm good at taking care of kids. I'd rather have cats. But that makes me wonder if my future partner wants kids... A hard choice. I might have kids with him if he reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally wants to.

Yeah, whether you will come out or not is contingent on how queer inclusive your working environment is. In most cases, "Don't ask. Don't tell." is the safe bet in mainland, China.
生年不满百,
常怀千岁忧。
昼短苦夜长,
何不秉烛游。