Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saying hello
Joined this forum a few days ago, and am finding it interesting and enjoyable, though haven't posted much yet. Anyway, I'm Andy, and I guess one of my main activities as far as the LGBT community are concerned is being chief writer for the Pink Triangle blog, which looks at how religion comes to bear on sexuality (not always for the best). It's been going for a bit over a year now. I also have input into the charity-run, nonprofit, online Gay & Lesbian Humanist mag, which has a new issue out now. We're not antireligious as such, just anti-privilege, and we tend to get annoyed when religion wants to put itself above the human rights of gays and lesbians, whether that's to do with gay marriage, adoption or whatever. Be nice to see you there, and I hope to be posting the odd comment on the threads here.

Hi Andy & Welcome.

andrewjarmitage Wrote:I also have input into the online Gay & Lesbian Humanist mag, which has a new issue out now. We're not antireligious as such, just anti-privilege, and we tend to get annoyed when religion wants to put itself above the human rights of gays and lesbians, whether that's to do with gay marriage, adoption or whatever.

Just playing devil's advocate (a favourite hobby of mine)..

What actually are human rights?
Is religious practice (not merely belief) a human right, if not why not?
If one person's human rights conflict with another's, which rights outweigh other rights?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Cool intro. Welcome Xyxthumbs

fredv3b Wrote:What actually are human rights? Is religious practice (not merely belief) a human right, if not why not? If one person's human rights conflict with another's, which rights outweigh other rights?

Hi, Fred

Thanks for your query.

I believe religious people have a right to be religious and, if they wish, talk about it. That's their human right, as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe that being religious means they have to stamp on the rights of others. But so many want to. I also believe that freedom of religion means freedom not to have a religion, so get annoyed when some religionists, notably Muslims, advocate death for apostacy. Again, they have a right to their belief system, but not the right to impose it on others, even those among their cultural constituency.

Blimey, I feel as if I've just issued a fatwa! Cry

Welcome Andrew Smile New myself! Use chat when ya can- we're trying to increase the amount of users on it- it's a nice way to get to know each other Smile

I try my best to avoid religion but I am a big reader of Queer theory and feminist theories too Smile You like Judith Butler, M. Foucault, Simone de Beauvoir and the likes? Smile

[COLOR="Purple"]Welcome andrew.

***as marsh said Wavey [/COLOR]

hi andrew welcome to gayspeak.
maria

Welcome to the forum Andrew!:biggrin:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Gawain88 Wrote:I try my best to avoid religion but I am a big reader of Queer theory and feminist theories too Smile

Perhaps then you could explain to me what Queer theory actually is? (I've heard the term before but never learnt what it means.)
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.