Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scared
Well hai guyz, I'm new, my name is Darrel(pronounced Dah rel) I will be 23 in a couple of dayz and have yet to come out to my dad. My mother knowz and she alwayz expected it, but my dad I am scared about. He iz alwayz making jokez about gayz and lesbianz and part of me wantz to scream "DAD, I am gay!"Since he is kind of a hard azz, anyone have any suggestionz on a way I can make it easier on both of us when i feel ready to come out to him?

hey welcome
well that's a tough place to be in. What does your m om think about it? I hate to think on these lines, but you never know how they are going to react, and it would be good to make sure you are "on your own" because you can't take that chance.
I know it sucks, but as long as your out to your friends and you're happy with that If you think he'll be okay then i say go with it, if not, waiting to tell a fe wpeople won't hurt!

Trust me. Once you have done it you feel a lot better!

Talk to your mother and get her opinion. Your dad may be making jokes about gays and lesbians because he is uncomfortable with the notion on same sex unity. Many people make jokes about things that make them uncomfortable.
If your mom thinks it's a good idea for you to come out to your father, find out from her what she thinks is the best way for you to come out to your dad.
Your father is going to need to know that you are gay at one point or another. Be careful dealing with your dad. Remember, coming out is not easy to do. Coming out is also not easy to accept. Your dad is going to need a lot of leeway and a lot of understanding.

[COLOR="Purple"]Welcome to the site.

Sorry if I missed your intro... Wavey

Above advice leaves me nothing to add. Best of luck with your dad.[/COLOR]

I sometimes think that coming out is overrated. You can come out to many people but you don't have to come out to the world. it's not an all or nothing thing. Come out to those who you feel comfortable with...the rest will fall in place later.

For instance, if you felt your dad would kick you out or disown you...wait till you have a place of your own, don't put anything at risk. I know i sound like a hypocrate but it's j ust my opionon. Maybe not the besgt one but maybe the safest one?