Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scratching/Biting
Hi,
My cat Sammy bites and scratches me (playfully) when i try to stroke him quite alot. I just ignore him when he does this or if he starts to get quite rough with me i pick him up and throw him away (not across the room lol, just onto the floor aboutr a meter away).
Is there anything else i can do?
I just don't want him to grow up thinking that this is acceptable behaviour (he's only about 6 months old and not had his bits chopped off yet).
Will his behaviour change once he's had his opp. ?

They usually grow out of this.
My fat did the same exact thing, though he stopped pretty early on (about 4 months)

Try strings... My cat was and still is obsessed with strings. He rather have a string twirled in his face then be pet.

Ok cool, i was hoping someone would say that. I've got one of those laser pens which he loves, and looks so confused when i turn it off and it dissapears.

I have a cat that is 6 years old, and he still bites and scratches and screeches and meows for attention and....UGH. He's a big kitten, i have been scratched soooooo many times it's ridicules.:frown:

Oh, and he's a boy, if that helps. Boys always seem alittle more bite-y scratch-y in my opinion.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Urg thats not to good, i hate having scratch marks all over me. I wonder when he was neutered?
Maybe they have less testosterone if they get chopped earlier. Just an idea though, do they even have testosterone?

Robg Wrote:Urg thats not to good, i hate having scratch marks all over me. I wonder when he was neutered?
Maybe they have less testosterone if they get chopped earlier. Just an idea though, do they even have testosterone?
Well he IS neutered. He was neutered as soon as he was old enough. (6 months? maybe thats why he still acts like a kitten lol:tongueSmile
And cats MUST have some kind of testosterone equivilant, surely.
Especially since they are mammals.:confused:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

lol, maybe i could start cat hormone replacement therapy on him.

hehe ^_^ sounds playful...

just for the record, we used to have a girl cat who did exactly the same thing when she got excited or into 'freakout mode'... I don't think it's to do with him being an intact tom.

To be honest, cats play rough! and I don't think they realise sometimes that they're hurting you. Me and Sam used to joke that we were big walking scratch-posts that dished out food :tongue:

I'm not an expert but I'd suggest like above - giving her more to play with in terms of toys to get her worn out and interested. All cats seem to have quite different personalities, so she may just be taking her boisterousness a little too far.

When I worked in a vet clinic we advised pretty much the same as Badabing said. The play fighting sometimes progresses to aggressive behavior, sometimes it doesn't. The best thing to do is discourage it through substituting your body/hands with appropriate toys, so that you don't reinforce the behavior. Punishing cats doesn't work that well.

Yeah i'll get the red laser out more often for him thanks. He's a fantastic cat in all other ways really. Never had him go to the toilet somehwere, learned his cat flap instantly, eats well. Really really good cat and i love how he wakes me up in the morning headbutting my face Smile