Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second chance
Do you believe inmate deserve a second chance depending on what they were convicted for?

This really depends on what they did, but if its not too severe (and I have to say depedning on the circumstances, even if it was), then yes, people deserve a second chance, but they'd have to be given that chance carefully, and only if they seem truly sorry.

Showing remorse in some cases is just not enough, showing remorse and proving that you have rehabilitated to a point where an inmate is unlikely to commit similar offences (Or any offences), then I would be comfortable with giving and inmate a second chance.

Too many paedophiles, rapists and abusers have said 'sorry' only to commit the same crimes on the community that they were released into.

In some circumstances I would say 'Lock em up and throw away the key' or 'bring back Capital punishment'.

So my answer LeoBlue, it doesn't depend on what crime they have committed that deserves a second chance, it depends on the level of remorse and rehabilitation that earns a second chance.

I think the answer is dependant on what the nature of the crime was, and how long the person has been in for. If you take a kid who's just 18 and lock him up for 25 years because he tried to rob a convienent store with a gun and fired a shot (regardless of hitting someone or not), when he gets out, he's gonna be 43. Now, maybe he's rehabilitated and won't ever do that again, but how's he gonna function in society at that point? He's been locked up for his entire adult life. He would have no job experience, maybe has his GED, but what is a guy like that supposed to do?

Then you take a rapist or something and I personally feel that people who commit serious crimes and are eventually released should be subject to automatic life sentences if they're convicted again, regardless of what the 2nd crime might be.

ZackT Wrote:Then you take a rapist or something and I personally feel that people who commit serious crimes and are eventually released should be subject to automatic life sentences if they're convicted again, regardless of what the 2nd crime might be.

Couldn't agree with you more...or anyone convicted of any abuse against a child should suffer the same fate.

Leoblue95 Wrote:Do you believe inmate deserve a second chance depending on what they were convicted for?

It depends on the inmate and the crime. Alot of criminals are sociopaths (for that matter...so are alot of Cops and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies)...I am not sure the criminal sociopath is capable of remorse or taking responsibility for their crimes so giving these individuals a second chance may not be a good idea. I don't believe in the death penalty though...I do not want the state to take anyone's life in my name. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Generally speaking I do believe in forgiveness and second chances but I think the person has to earn them by taking responsibility for their actions which includes making amends wherever they can.

Given that some people have been falsely incarcerated, I'd say yes - but as many others have said, it can depend on a lot... original crime, remorse, rehabilitation. The biggest question for me might be if they harmed someone else (i.e. drug use vs drug selling; theft vs. murder; etc.) and how intentional it was (i.e. manslaughter, such as hitting a pedestrian with one's car).

I do agree with East that in some cases criminals are sociopaths, but a lot of crimes are crimes of passion or were fueled by drugs and perhaps the person is clean now, etc.

Sure, some defz do.

Like the guy from Norway, the one that killed like 90 people. If he wasn't a religious fanatic Id definitely be glad that he got only 21 years in prison. People like that do good things. Also, some serial killers...But not pedos or rapists.
But serial killers, definitely, they deserve another chance at figuring out new ways to mutilate your victim especially if she is a highway whore.
But dictators like Sadam or Ghadafi - no, by no means no.

East Wrote:It depends on the inmate and the crime. Alot of criminals are sociopaths (for that matter...so are alot of Cops and CEOs of Fortune 500 companies)...I am not sure the criminal sociopath is capable of remorse or taking responsibility for their crimes so giving these individuals a second chance may not be a good idea. I don't believe in the death penalty though...I do not want the state to take anyone's life in my name. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Generally speaking I do believe in forgiveness and second chances but I think the person has to earn them by taking responsibility for their actions which includes making amends wherever they can.

complete my opinion :-)
A second chance should be ... or in case of a sociopath a care in a lifetime inprisonment. For my opinion the death penalty is a crime... a much worse crime as a crime of a sociopath or psychic / mentally disturbed person. Because in case of a mentally / psychic illness it is a sick person ... a state murders only for revenge. If a state thinks it is important to murder his criminals it is a declaration of bankruptcy, because a state has enough ways to secure criminals.

And there should be much more care for the victims.... victims of a crime are mostly forgotten.

You also got to factor in where people are from, say you give some one a second chance who meets your standards, but lives in a crime ridden neighborhood where the probability of them getting sucked back into a life of crime is pretty high, you'd be better off leaving them locked up. Unless your going to pay to relocate them.