Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I be more.. hardened?
Every time I listen to a sad story, tell an emotional one, or watch a movie, I cannot help to keep myself from shedding a tears. This makes me avoid being with friends or families while watching movies. The last movie I watch and I think is a great one is The Hunger Games, and I keep crying watching this movie.

What do you think? Should we be less dramatic and emotional? If so, how do you harden yourselves to be more tough? I don't want to look weak...

Thanks in advance.

PS: Sorry, guys. I've been away for a while. Good to see you again.

I was beaten sufficiently as a child then screamed at for crying 'If you don't shut up I'll give you something to really cry about!' to where it is now actually quite difficult for me to shed any tears.

In reality being in touch with your emotions, having an ease to cry, fear, laugh etc is better - far better for you than repressing or 'controlling' your emotions.

This whole 'man up' concept that you hint at, bad idea.... That leads to alcoholism, drug addiction, attempts of suicide, cutting, eating disorders.... It is not good for the body to suppress feelings.... it doesn't end well....

Thanks Bowyn. And I'm sorry to hear that. I also had a bad experience in my childhood.

I realized the expectation about ' being a man enough' is quite high in my neighborhood. And they will laugh at one that cannot be.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you are cold (as your My Mood indicates). I hope you find some blankets.

Second of all, I am someone who rarely, if ever, cries. I do not even get misty-eyed unless my allergies act up. This is something I have trained myself to do through years of bottling up emotions, and honestly, it sucks. It does not make me feel like more of a man, but just some hardened soul. Sometimes, I have the same type of self-consciousness, though mine is reversed. I see all of these caring souls crying at something sad, and then I notice I am just staring blankly at the screen, and I wonder what's wrong with me.
You have nothing to worry about. Smile

Don't worry about it, I cry all the time.

Once I cried when waiting in line for free christmas wrapping paper. That was last year btw.

Nothing wrong about it, doesnt mean you're weak when you cry.

You're just being yourself..If that's what you feel then let it out.

i find it so ridiculous that , even though sadness and crying are things that every single person in the world goes through at some point in their life ... when a woman cries it's usually trivialized as just being her hormones / typical female stuff / etc , and when a man cries it's considered weak and pathetic.

it's so stupid -___-

Lilitu Wrote:Don't worry about it, I cry all the time.

Once I cried when waiting in line for free christmas wrapping paper. That was last year btw.

But that was long ago... lol. You always have a way to entertain Smile
Thanks.

findingmyway Wrote:First of all, I'm sorry to hear you are cold (as your My Mood indicates). I hope you find some blankets.

Second of all, I am someone who rarely, if ever, cries. I do not even get misty-eyed unless my allergies act up. This is something I have trained myself to do through years of bottling up emotions, and honestly, it sucks. It does not make me feel like more of a man, but just some hardened soul. Sometimes, I have the same type of self-consciousness, though mine is reversed. I see all of these caring souls crying at something sad, and then I notice I am just staring blankly at the screen, and I wonder what's wrong with me.
You have nothing to worry about. Smile

Thank u so much. It's like a pain to strangle the emotions like you do.

Evan88 Wrote:Nothing wrong about it, doesnt mean you're weak when you cry.

You're just being yourself..If that's what you feel then let it out.

That's what I fear, being ridiculed because of who I am.