Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shoveling and snowblowing
So I still live with my parents and get home from work a few hours before my dad. We own a snowblower but I'm not to use it. My dad wants me to shovel our larger than normal driveway before he gets home. I have a heart condition that only comes back when I exert a lot of energy like running or shoveling. Just working out in general. They seem to forget this and by the time of finish he'd be getting home. He could easily snowblow in 10-20 minutes. When it would take me an hour and a half to shovel.

Just venting and not sure where to put this. My parents complain when I don't do enough. My mom freaks out All the time when "I don't do enough. " it's so annoying living with them but I don't really have a choice. I'm still on the job hunt so I can move out. I always think about telling them what are you going to do when I move out? But I feel like that is crossing a line.

My dad actually came home early as I was typing this and he freaked out when I explained. When I said we have a perfectly good snowblower that he won't teach me to use he walked away.

This post took a slight turn from what I thought was going on.... Ugh my life.

Sometimes it is good to have a good rant, get it off your chest.

Try talking to your dad about learning to use the snowblower again, but catch him at a really good time when he is in a really good mood and most approachable. Good luck Smile

I just read a piece on the BBC News website that was talking about snow related deaths.

You should show this to your dad!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine...r-30119410

i have such bad memories of being forced to shovel snow as a kid. i still hate the cold in general because of that i think.

it sounds like you have some deeper issues or tension with the parents. you said he walked away... are any or all of you not good communicators? i'm just now realizing how many problems that has caused over my life..

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to have a snowblower, but then insist that YOU have to clear the sidewalks....with a shovel. That's like owning a mop and insisting you clean the floors with a sponge.

Lex

Oh my God I make snow shoveling an art form! being a perfectionist in keeping my house well maintained, clean, and looking its best, I could easily spend several hours shoveling snow, so freaking neatly piled, that when I am finished my house looks like snow never fell on it! and if it is done right it is a great cardiovascular exercise, too!

At 25, I don't think it's wrong for your parents to expect you to contribute. You're well past the age where you need to be supporting yourself. If you have a roof over your head, a warm bed, clothes on your back, and a full stomach, quitcher bitchin'. I assume they're paying for the internet connection you're enjoying too. I have little sympathy.

Maybe he could have done it when he got home from work faster... but why should he have to? What will you have learned? Contributed? Earned? You're not entitled to reside there.

You have my sympathy...

I lived in New York when I was a kid for a few years and I hated the snow so bad...being from California I was never in the snow 'til I moved there as my Dad was from NY and was in the Air Force and then college there...

I swore I would never live anywhere again where it snowed...hated shoveling it and the worst is the big ass iclicles that made a prison when you tried to get out the door from the overhang on the porch...

I don't understand why he doesn't teach you how to use the snowblower...does he have a reason?

Are you in the position to buy one of your own by any chance?

I looked at this thread when there was one comment and hoped if I backed off and waited someone else would say something about the plaid T Rex in this.

Unless the OPs parents are sociopaths trying to knock off their son for a $4 million dollar insurance policy I don't buy this. We've been told less than half the story and maybe a lot less. Try to imagine what sort of Mom and Dad would get mad about a son with a real heart problem not taking care of some snow removal.

Sorry... nothing personal... but I'm not buying this.

Damn I thought Virge was gonna offer to show up with his front loader, but instead he doubt's a guy's heart condition!