Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow cookers anyone?
Has anyone here tried slow cookers?

They seem to be popular in America, maybe not so popular in Europe and Africa.

A 'slow' restaurant has opened recently here and I love the texture of their food: smooth, tender, juicy. They claim the food is healthier and I totally believe them.

The flavours were not exceptional but I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right seasoning.

What do you think of slow cookers? How do you use one?

Is it possible to use one with a conventional stove (e.g. a detachable pot)? I'm always looking for versatility.

More on this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/1...low-cooker

Well, a slow cooker or "crock pot" as there sometimes called are basically a metal pot surrounded by a ceramic heating element and depending on the specific model and how old it is, can have either a simple analog setting control dial, or digital controls. As far as using them, all you really have to do is follow whatever crock-pot specific recipe your using, put the food/ingredients, lid up and let it cook for x amount of time ( i would recommend Alton Brown's crock-pot lasagna recipe).

jaxc Wrote:Well, a slow cooker or "crock pot" as there sometimes called are basically a metal pot surrounded by a ceramic heating element and depending on the specific model and how old it is, can have either a simple analog setting control dial, or digital controls. As far as using them, all you really have to do is follow whatever crock-pot specific recipe your using, put the food/ingredients, lid up and let it cook for x amount of time ( i would recommend Alton Brown's crock-pot lasagna recipe).

Thanks, Honey. I've never used or even seen one.

I was hoping to find an electric slow cooker. The more versatile, the better: maybe something that could also heat meals or combine several types of cooking, I don't know.

I don't own a slow cooker but often slow cook cheaper cuts or meat in casseroles or stews to get a rich flavour. I'm not sure if it's any healthier but anything home cooked in healthier than supermarket ready meals.

The concept is really good tho. Start the pot at the start of the day before work and come home to a hot meal.

There's loads of recipes out there including desserts and cake recipes....but to be honest I really enjoy baking so I reckon I'll stick to the oven for that.

Let us all know how you get on if you get one.

The slow cooker is really not much different in principle than the Tajine used in northern Africa.....we use it for some soups and stews or pot roast......[Image: Field-to-Fork-Pheasant-Tajine-Recipe.jpg] we use ours about 10 times a year, I'd say.....

MisterLove Wrote:Has anyone here tried slow cookers?

They seem to be popular in America, maybe not so popular in Europe and Africa.

A 'slow' restaurant has opened recently here and I love the texture of their food: smooth, tender, juicy. They claim the food is healthier and I totally believe them.

The flavours were not exceptional but I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right seasoning.

What do you think of slow cookers? How do you use one?

Is it possible to use one with a conventional stove (e.g. a detachable pot)? I'm always looking for versatility.

More on this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/1...low-cooker

I love my slow cooker AND my rice cooker. In fact, other than the stove, they are the most used appliances in my kitchen. I often use mine to toss food into in the morning and get it cooking so that I can come home in the evening to food already made and ready to eat. (I work 4 jobs plus run an internet business. It's hard to fit in cooking, especially in the busy season.)

You say "The flavours were not exceptional but I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right seasoning."

The trick is that moist cooking environments and long cook times often mute flavors, yeah? This means you need to use a lot of aromatics like onions, garlic, and herbs... then sometimes give those flavors a boost at the -end- of the cooking time by adding more herbs, lemon juice, etc to make the flavors pop.

I suggest checking out America's Test Kitchen "Slow Cooker Revolution". It has not just recipes but a lot of tips and tricks in it as well.

I've never seen a convertible slow cooker? Not saying they're not out there, just never seen one.

A lot of the idea of the slow cooker is to use a single plugin appliance inplace of the stove or oven, theoretically using less energy.

As noted above, you can use a tagine to do pretty much the same thing, except that it does not plug in and has been around so long that no one can patent it and profit in the same way that they can on the sale of slow cookers.

Another classic vessel for doing this is the dutch oven. I see an advantage in the dutch oven in that you can brown meat in it at the start of the process and not have to use a separate pan as you should with many--not all--slow cookers.

If you are curious about using a slow cooker, simply google "slow cooker recipes" and read up a bit. Then imagine doing the same thing in a dutch oven or a tagine.Yummy
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:A lot of the idea of the slow cooker is to use a single plugin appliance inplace of the stove or oven, theoretically using less energy.

As noted above, you can use a tagine to do pretty much the same thing, except that it does not plug in and has been around so long that no one can patent it and profit in the same way that they can on the sale of slow cookers.

Another classic vessel for doing this is the dutch oven. I see an advantage in the dutch oven in that you can brown meat in it at the start of the process and not have to use a separate pan as you should with many--not all--slow cookers.

If you are curious about using a slow cooker, simply google "slow cooker recipes" and read up a bit. Then imagine doing the same thing in a dutch oven or a tagine.Yummy
Dutch ovens, mostly cast iron ones in the 5 quart range are also really good for deep frying.

I have asked for one for Christmas tomorrow. LOL

We'll see if I get it.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

crock pot recipes work wonders for potlucks and having dinner ready when you get home. simple "low" setting and if you put the food in before you leave home; after work, when you get home, oftenly, a hot meal is ready! no fuss! leave it and forget it!