Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow cookers anyone?
MisterLove Wrote:I'm officially excited about slow cookers.

I've done some research but I still have one question: can I use the inner pot (I believe it is called 'crock') on a conventional gas stove?

This one from Morphy Richards seems to do that:

http://www.fnac.pt/Morphy-Richards-Panel...15#ficheDt

No. Don't put the crock pot on the stove or in the oven.

There may be an exception from a particular manufacturer, but, in general, you should not put the interior vessel of a crock pot directly on the stove or into the oven. That's one reason why I lean toward a cast iron dutch oven. Still, crock pots can be great tools. The features do vary, but Virge is right. The auto warm feature is one to look for.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:There may be an exception from a particular manufacturer, but, in general, you should not put the interior vessel of a crock pot directly on the stove or into the oven. [...]

Absolutely.

Even if it's stainless steel, I don't want to take any risks and damage the pot.

I just put a pork roast (with a package of dry onion soup mix) in my slow cooker for the day. By the time dinner comes around, it will be fully cooked and so tender the meat just falls apart. That's about all I use mine for, I "should" use it more for a variety of things (stews, various meats, etc.) but I never think of it till it's too late. You do have to "plan ahead" when you use one, but they do an excellent job, everything is moist and tender when it's done.

Just happened to see this. Of interest.

http://www.thekitchn.com/avoid-these-5-c...chn-211183
I bid NO Trump!

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I've never seen a convertible slow cooker? Not saying they're not out there, just never seen one.

In the uk we have these "multicooker" now that can do rice, slow cooking and some can even roast a chicken. Madness!

CK, we used to call those "grandmothers."
I bid NO Trump!

never even heard of this thing. but i doubt it's my thing. i want my food immediately after i start making it. which means 5 minutes to throw together a couple of sandwiches is too long!