Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow cookers anyone?
[MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION] -------- You got that right about rice cookers.

We have 2 large crock pots, (slow cookers) one hardly never gets put up. We call it the soup pot which is what it's used for most the time since I make soups all the time. It only has settings for high -- medium -- low. The other one is larger and can be set for cooking times and just keeping the food warm.

There are loads of recipes on the internet and of course you can spice them up to suit you. It's great to be able to load one up, turn it on at noon. leave to run errands then come back home to a house that smells like you've been cooking all day -- and have dinner ready t eat.

Love my crock pots too.

Out of the ordinary ideas...

Wrap small to medium sweet potatoes in foil, stack in crock and cook on low for six hours or until desired tenderness. This method results in the best sweet potatoes you'll ever have and they're so healthy.

Wrap medium baking potatoes in foil to line the crock, place a small hen seasoned with salt and pepper on top and cook for 8 hours on low. The foil "browns' the chicken and the potatoes are awesome.

Line the crock with quartered onion, lay on a turkey breast, bone-in, pour 1 jar turkey gravy over top. Cook on low 6 hours, pour on second jar turkey gravy if desired and cook 2 more hours or until done.

Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

jaxc Wrote:Dutch ovens, mostly cast iron ones in the 5 quart range are also really good for deep frying.

This is wonderful!

Like I said, I love versatility and I still don't have a deep fryer.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I love my slow cooker AND my rice cooker. In fact, other than the stove, they are the most used appliances in my kitchen. I often use mine to toss food into in the morning and get it cooking so that I can come home in the evening to food already made and ready to eat. (I work 4 jobs plus run an internet business. It's hard to fit in cooking, especially in the busy season.)

You say "The flavours were not exceptional but I'm sure it's just a matter of finding the right seasoning."

The trick is that moist cooking environments and long cook times often mute flavors, yeah? This means you need to use a lot of aromatics like onions, garlic, and herbs... then sometimes give those flavors a boost at the -end- of the cooking time by adding more herbs, lemon juice, etc to make the flavors pop.

I suggest checking out America's Test Kitchen "Slow Cooker Revolution". It has not just recipes but a lot of tips and tricks in it as well.

I've never seen a convertible slow cooker? Not saying they're not out there, just never seen one.

Brilliant cooking tips, as always.

I'll definitely check out the link you mentioned.

without reading other reply's ill post basically cos I don't want to see im doing it wrong lol - what I like about slow cookers - there great for making a nice batch of stew but you really get a full flavour - not like using a microwave where its hot and nice but lacking a little body, it just comes out thicker, tastier, and just all round better to eat...the food stays hole too as your not stirring stuff around too

CellarDweller Wrote:I have asked for one for Christmas tomorrow. LOL

We'll see if I get it.

Yup, I got my slow cooker! Smile
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

CellarDweller Wrote:Yup, I got my slow cooker! Smile

Great news, Honey! Have fun and keep us posted on your new toy + great recipes. Smile

I'm officially excited about slow cookers.

I've done some research but I still have one question: can I use the inner pot (I believe it is called 'crock') on a conventional gas stove?

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I love my slow cooker AND my rice cooker. In fact, other than the stove, they are the most used appliances in my kitchen. (...)

I believe there are slow cookers that also feature the rice cooking function.

Virge Wrote:[MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION] -------- You got that right about rice cookers.

We have 2 large crock pots, (slow cookers) one hardly never gets put up. We call it the soup pot which is what it's used for most the time since I make soups all the time. It only has settings for high -- medium -- low. The other one is larger and can be set for cooking times and just keeping the food warm.

There are loads of recipes on the internet and of course you can spice them up to suit you. It's great to be able to load one up, turn it on at noon. leave to run errands then come back home to a house that smells like you've been cooking all day -- and have dinner ready t eat.

Absolutely, Pumpkin.

I love the automatic keep warm function, it's a brilliant touch.

I am definitely going to get one of those.