Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...I Started Painting
Very cool. Happy to see more.

great works! You're very talented!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!
[-] The following 1 member Likes CellarDweller's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(04-16-2020, 12:22 AM)CellarDweller Wrote: great works!  You're very talented!

Thanks Smile

I've got lucky a few times. I have taken the paint thinner to a couple to effectively press CTRL+Z (Undo)... or maybe it was CTRL+ALT+DEL  Tongue
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Beautiful artwork @InbetweenDreams especially since you only started painting in 2018!!

They are all excellent, but I like the fruit painting best. I love the vibrant colours.  

Did you use oils or acrylic paint?
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(04-22-2020, 10:20 PM)Bookworm Wrote: Beautiful artwork @InbetweenDreams especially since you only started painting in 2018!!

They are all excellent, but I like the fruit painting best. I love the vibrant colours.  

Did you use oils or acrylic paint?

Thanks Smile . I do think there is plenty of room for improvement. All but the basket of limes are oil, that one was acrylic. Acrylic is cheaper, but like everything else you get what you pay for. Most of the oil paints are Winton Series 1 paints, so it's good but not the real good stuff. I can't do $60 for a tiny tube. Now if people start paying $500+ for my paintings then yeah sure.

I did set up a Facebook page and I have done some live streams which honestly are boring as hell...and I hope no one is taking anything that I do seriously because what "technique" I use is almost certainly to be wrong.

I have 3-4 paintings in progress that I really really need to get back on and try to get finished. Especially now since I do have more time to do so. 

One of them is a "study" of a photograph I took of a butterfly which is on a 30" x 40" canvas, I'll have to photograph. The other two are landscapes, one is a scene of icerbergs at night with an aurora...that one I think will be neat. The other is by far the best work I've done with clouds but overall it is a generic landscape...Think of something like the the plains or perhaps the badlands. 

I'll have to post some photos or take some.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm

Extra gold stars for working in Oils! I found they were much more difficult to manipulate than acrylics, and they take forever to dry! I just didn't have the patience for using them. You do generally get a much more polished result from using them though. I just made mess and stuck with acrylics  Big Grin
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

@Bookworm They can be difficult to deal with. Acrylics dry too fast for me. Oil paints do take much longer to dry and different pigments dry faster than others and if you do mulitple layers you have to be mindful of this or the paint will crack. So, yeah there is a bit of a learning curve, but if I can do it anyone can do it.

Bob Ross said it best, "talent is a pursued interest." I have also never seen anyone suck as something they enjoyed doing.
Check out my stuff!
  • Bookworm

Well after a long hiatus from actually painting something I did a small 4"x12" painting/study of a sunrise shot I got at the outer banks. I did it fairly quickly and didn't even prep the canvas which I normally either stain or apply a thin layer of linseed oil to. I think it looks a little better in person, seem to have a hard time getting the right exposure and who knows what the white balance is on the phone...something I didn't think of when I took the shot....

Anyway, here it is...

Check out my stuff!
  • Bookworm

Just did another one. I spent about 90 minutes....It's not so apparent on the easel but looking at it I can definitely see areas I need to touch up on.

Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 3 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy, Bookworm, seeking

So I did some more pouring. They turned out a little better still some trouble with layering and I think that might have to do with the pouring medium. I'm wondering if plain old water will do better. Thoughts?

I know a lot of people don't regard this as fine art and that is fine but it is still art. There is, believe it or not, thought put into this sort of stuff. I wouldn't try to sell these for some exorbitant price. Frankly, aside from a few oil paintings selling them enough to cover the materials used and some "beer money" I would be happy.

I did the second one with leftover paint (which is why coverage is a little lacking).
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm, seeking