Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social media detox
So I removed myself from Twitter. Thank god. What relief. As well as a few other social media sites, though I have to keep some up for my music.

It is a relief not to be in that swamp of "LOOK AT ME!!!!!", where everyone's "LOOK AT ME!!!" is just a drop in the ocean.

So do you do (a)social media?
If so, why?

Or do you not?
If not, why?

Or did you for a while, and then removed yourself?
If so, why?

If you answer in any way, or do not answer in any way, the above questions, then answer why, or why not? Or don't not answer why?

I've never subscribed to social media. I've never felt the urge to follow the sheep. I have a small group of real friends, not virtual ones.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:I've never subscribed to social media. I've never felt the urge to follow the sheep. I have a small group of real friends, not virtual ones.

Ah I do it for connection to other musicians.

Can't I waste enough time here?

I someone wants to contact me, I have two telephone numbers, two emails, a post office box address, a street address and that's enough. The race to use one gimmick over another does not interest me.
I bid NO Trump!

I use it in medicinal dosages. I only turn my Twitter on if there is an event I want to follow, like the Oscars, otherwise it stays off. It's still waiting for my first tweet, though. I'm a Twitter-bottom.

Sometimes I need to feel like I have friends. I also enjoy online discussions.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

Dating sites? Never....I can easily get dates going outside of my house...even at my age.,...if I was single....and besides...I have the best date ever already in my bed every night....

Twitter? Nope...don't care what anyone is tweeting

My Space...Nope...thought it was an awful idea.

Facebook...once as an individual...I quit a few months in. I do not want to reach out and touch anyone...or follow people I knew 20 or 30 or 40 years ago....I wish them well but if we drifted apart...probably a reason.....

I am now on Facebook as a business...because I was forced to. It is OK...I only agree to be friends with people I actually want to visit with or who interest me.....nothing forced anymore and no one can find me unless they know my business...

Instagram...I only know the name.....but I am certain I will not like it.

I like THIS board because it isn't a sex site. I am not a prude...but I am not looking for sex ...just conversation...

I have three facebook accounts!

One is actually mine, another was my ancient dog's (she has passed on now) and the other was just a made up name because I was very, very, very into Farmville.

After a few months I grew annoyed and bored with Farmville.

Its then I discovered that people actually talked and posted stuff - which totally annoyed me and now I rarely go there.

I never did myspace, won't do twitter, or any of those other sites. I fail to see the point.

Social media is far from social. And I have social issues and had to get an education on what being social means. These sites ain't it - if anything they are antisocial - meaning opposite of social.

I did try OK cupid because it was supposed to be relationship aimed - Well that turned out to be a huge fucking lie.

And like East, I still 'got it'... Two weeks ago I was standing at a bus stop with my leather jacket on, smoking a cigarette and this 'kid' (IDK 25-30?) came up to me and struck up a conversation.

IDK what happened during that conversation but he got a little handsy and 'suggested' we go back to his place. I told him that if he didn't remove his hand from my leather he would pull back a bloody stump. That only made him more excited I guess....Rolleyes

So I don't need social media - I got bus stops. :tongue:

I used to be on FB, Twitter, Tagged, Experience Project and Fetlife and went off all of them because all the drama became too annoying and boring...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:And like East, I still 'got it'... Two weeks ago I was standing at a bus stop with my leather jacket on, smoking a cigarette and this 'kid' (IDK 25-30?) came up to me and struck up a conversation.

IDK what happened during that conversation but he got a little handsy and 'suggested' we go back to his place. I told him that if he didn't remove his hand from my leather he would pull back a bloody stump. That only made him more excited I guess....Rolleyes
:

Excited??? I practically messed my pants right there on the sidewalk!!!! 1luvu

I'm on both Facebook and Twitter. Why? A bunch of reasons.

* To interact in a fun way with friends and family.

* To provide an audience for what passes for me "blogging".

* To occasionally engage people in discussions. Rarely get into political debates or anything, but I had some discussions about the Caitlyn Jenner pictures the last few days.

* To promote my "hobby projects". ("Come see Lex in his one-gargoyle show NAKED EXCEPT FOR THE LOINCLOTH this Thursday at Sketchy Art Gallery!")

* To practice my comedy. Seriously. I'll often get an idea for something I could use for stand-up comedy, but I don't know how funny it is to the public at large. When that happens, I'll often figure out a way to present it in written form, and post it on Facebook. The responses I get can help me decide if the joke should be thrown out, or revamped ,or added as-is to my repertoire.

Example. Recently, I had a box of popsicles in my freezer, and as always, I was saving the grape flavored ones for last. (Because I like them the least.) And I came up with the idea that I was actually waiting for them to change into wine-sicles. I posted something to that effect on FB, and it got some positive responses. But then somebody posted a clip from a Mitch Hedberg stand-up routine which was similar in content. ("I saw a wino eating grapes, and I told him, 'Dude - you have to wait!'") I hadn't heard that one before, but I decided that although they weren't exactly the same, my bit wasn't as funny, so I dropped it.

Is there drama there? You bet. Ill-informed opinions? Oh yes. But I find those while out and about, too. And I do on FB what I do in real-life - stroll right by.

Lex