Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorry
When was the last time you said sorry to someone?

I think last time I said sorry for something actually actually hurtful you may say was in school.
Now I seem to scare from the word, its not just a word anymore its got a hell of a lot behind it now...

I wish I could use it more, but personally I feel restrained.

I'm not really one to say sorry... I mean, I say sorry for the little things like if I bump into someone or spill summat over someone etc... but for the big things that really do need an apology.. I find it really hard at times.

Like maybe, I'd done/said something to someone that I regretted, but because for me to have done/said teh regrettable thing in the first place was because I had been made so angry.. I just find it really hard to apologsie for it.

I say sorry for like hitting someone by accident, but then I don't tend to say sorry instantly if I do something.

Mainly because my view is, if people take time to say sorry, maybe hours, days, weeks, months or longer, its shown that they have gone away and thought about the whole thing and realised they were in the wrong.

However one thing I say sorry for which I think I shouldn't is when I say something which offends someone, theres no point in saying 'oh I didn't mean it' because I wouldn't of said it if I didn't think it or mean it...

Saying sorry is just words. Showing your sorry says so much more.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

What an interesting question! It was always very English to say sorry all the time. Then certain politicians showed how it is not necessary after all, even after the most dreadful mistakes.

I love the bit from the book, Narrow Dog to Carcassonne, where the author, Terry Darlington, explains The Simple Rule in the section on French in Fifteen Minutes:

"English works the other way round to French. The Englishman has been brought up to feel remorse at being born and causing inconvenience to others, while the Frenchman sees no reason to apologise."

I'm trying to become a little more French Wink

Well said twazzle. I had to say sorry to my best friend this weekend and to be honest I found it really difficult. It is really liberating saying sorry if you really mean it. The person who I most find difficult to say sorry to is my mum because sometimes I know im in the right but if I dont say sorry she wont speak to me for days. I think It takes streanth to say sorry when youre in the wrong but like others have said it is a word which can be over used.

Twazzle Wrote:Saying sorry is just words. Showing your sorry says so much more.

Xyxthumbs Xyxthumbs Xyxthumbs

Think it rather sad to do things where saying sorry is necessary and it gets worse when ya havent learned the lesson and ya gotta say sorry over and over again... making the other person nauseous... so please LEARN THE LESSON.

Again I find myself agreeing with what's gone before ...

Sorry is something I have no problem saying when I believe I'm in the wrong ... I suppose I should learn not to say I'm sorry when I believe I'm in the right though, as sometimes I'll apologise if I feel what I'm saying or doing is upsetting somebody, even if I know in my heart of hearts it's the right thing to do ...

... but yeah, I've never had a problem apologising for the things I've done wrong, and I'm usually pretty quick about it too ...

What gets on my nerves is when my straight mates apologise to me if they brush past me or something ... it's like I say to them "apologise to me if you hurt me, otherwise don't sweat it".

I will, however, apologise to strangers if I bump into them or what have you, but I think with friends, particularly British ones, we have a culture of apologising for the little things it seems, and so I think sometimes it's nice to stop and think "what AM I apologising for !?" (if it's something trivial like touching somebody accidentally) before you do it ...

Confusedmile:.

Lol @ Marshlander's quote as well - that's brilliant Xyxthumbs.

xx

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

fjp999 Wrote:Think it rather sad to do things where saying sorry is necessary and it gets worse when ya havent learned the lesson and ya gotta say sorry over and over again... making the other person nauseous... so please LEARN THE LESSON.

Agreed you must learn the lesson fjp, but to actually make up for being sorry as well is important. I think saying sorry and actually meaning it as well is very important.

Star Twister Wrote:Agreed you must learn the lesson fjp, but to actually make up for being sorry as well is important. I think saying sorry and actually meaning it as well is very important.

OH YES!!! Making Up after saying sorry is the MOST fun part of learning the lesson Luvkiss