Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina Pride in Columbia, SC
Well this was both my and my partner's first pride event we went to. Also never been in downtown Columbia either. I was able to record the parade and some of Vanilla Ice's performance the next day.

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 5 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bhp91126, Bookworm, calgor, CellarDweller, ChadCoxRox

Congrats for going. So, what do you think?
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

(10-25-2021, 03:38 PM)Bhp91126 Wrote: Congrats for going. So, what do you think?

Well, I think it was a liberating experience for my partner. He's new to being out of the closet and that we were comfortable being together in public. I think that is something that I overlook a lot because I simply don't do it. Like, in my small town, it is just easier to just not "look gay" when you're out having dinner or something.

After the Vanilla Ice concert we had dinner just down from where we parked at a Japanese restaurant. The short story is this, it took forever for the food come out and our server kept apologizing, and I'm being cool with it because it is not his fault and it turned out to be excellent sushi despite waiting a little more than hour. Our server told us that it was the first time in 27 years that he missed pride. Talked to us about how back in the day that you couldn't go around holding hands and having to carry blades to protect yourself. After he walked away I discussed a story told here about how someone's partner had gasoline poured on him and was set on fire because they were gay. This being one of the Baltic states near Russia, if I remember correctly and that we're extremely lucky to live in a country where it is for the most part very safe to be gay.

Overall, it was a good experience. I think for both of us it is good to get out and do stuff like that, doesn't have to be pride, but just going out, enjoying ourselves and hopefully being able to not be quite so uptight. That is a huge problem of mine is not being able to loosen up...although I suppose some drinks would help with that. I talked to him about possibly going to the Atlanta pride event, which should be quite a bit larger than Columbia. I know Columbia isn't as large as Atlanta but was kind of surprised how small and dated the downtown area looked. That being said, the thing that seems to be in the back of my mind is safety. I just worry that at these large pride events that we're targets for some people and you never know what is going to happen. Likewise, I know you can't let fear dictate your life.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 2 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bhp91126, ChadCoxRox

Looks like it was a good night. Vanilla Ice still pumpin' that song  Big Grin 

I have similar insecurities when I'm at events too, I think I'm a little too paranoid for my own good, but like you I try not to let it get in the way of the fun and merriment.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

(10-25-2021, 08:07 PM)Bookworm Wrote: Looks like it was a good night. Vanilla Ice still pumpin' that song  Big Grin 

I have similar insecurities when I'm at events too, I think I'm a little too paranoid for my own good, but like you I try not to let it get in the way of the fun and merriment.

Yeah I didn't know he still performed. I think he did pretty good. I tell you what though, it's been a long time being that close to an audio system like that. My phone doesn't even come close in how all that sounded. We were probably 60ft away and my shirt was vibrating when the bass hit. I mean they had to have been running 5kW through all those speakers. The funny part is that the restaurant next to where they had the concert had live music. I don't know how they were not being drowned out being next to that lol.

But yeah it is one reason I don't like to draw attention to myself in public. It's not that I think people who are anti-LGBT are looking to instill fear, rather it is to spread their hate and disgust.
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm

Instead of doing more pride you guys could also go to Atlanta on a different weekend and party with the locals. Seeing the lgbt+ masses at pride is pretty empowering, but a normal weekend could give you a more exact feeling of the openness.

Happy for you that you guys went and had a good time.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bhp91126's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

@Bhp91126 Yeah I suppose we could do something like that. There is a place in Asheville, NC called O'Henry's that might be cool to experience too. Plus it probably helps to have a few friends to hang with too. I'm not much of a club, bar type person and neither is my partner, or perhaps hasn't come out of his shell yet. But it is food for thought. My biggest gripe about Atlanta is parking. It can be a bit overwhelming not finding parking, not knowing your way around and ah the traffic is usually dreadful. My ex used to live in Atlanta and it was always a hassle to do anything. Of course it being Friday night, he wants to go out but of course there's an hour wait just to get a table anywhere. Forget a call-in order for food...Did I mention my ex didn't like the smell of cooking? Yeah...
Check out my stuff!

(10-26-2021, 01:42 AM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: @Bhp91126 Yeah I suppose we could do something like that. There is a place in Asheville, NC called O'Henry's that might be cool to experience too. Plus it probably helps to have a few friends to hang with too. I'm not much of a club, bar type person and neither is my partner, or perhaps hasn't come out of his shell yet. But it is food for thought. My biggest gripe about Atlanta is parking. It can be a bit overwhelming not finding parking, not knowing your way around and ah the traffic is usually dreadful. My ex used to live in Atlanta and it was always a hassle to do anything. Of course it being Friday night, he wants to go out but of course there's an hour wait just to get a table anywhere. Forget a call-in order for food...Did I mention my ex didn't like the smell of cooking? Yeah...
Glad to hear you and your partner managed to work around the issues you discussed earlier and had a good time.

(10-26-2021, 02:29 AM)calgor Wrote: Glad to hear you and your partner managed to work around the issues you discussed earlier and had a good time.

Yeah the stuff in the other thread is still ongoing, but we do like being around each other for the most part. But it is things that I mentioned in that thread that do drive me crazy. We're taking a weekend trip in a few weeks, I told him to take a thursday off so he could come up the day before we leave, otherwise it's rush rush rush. Well his co-worker who does his schedule won't give him a full day off, and he's asked for the day over a fucking month in advance and they shaft him like this. It just bothers me. I mean it doesn't affect our trip persay, but it means he's not going to get in until after dark the night before since we're 3 1/2 - 4 hours apart and then the next day it is another 3-4 hours drive to where we're going and I want him to enjoy the trip and not recovering from work the whole weekend.

But we did discuss going to another pride event, probably next year. I told him that doing Atlanta would be fine but I think we would do well to stay at a hotel or somewhere within walking distance so we don't have to worry about driving so much. But that's just one of many ideas and things I want to do. Of course his employer right now is a big fucking obstacle to doing a lot of things, simply because you have to book before we know if he can get the time off or not.

Ahh, better stop now, I feel a rant coming on lol
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • calgor

Sweet - Gay Pride South Carolina!