Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southernization- Yes or no?
I'm from Minnesota but I live in Arkansas. I'm thinking of just letting myself adapt to the environment and acquire some characteristics from it, as well as hopefully a southern accent. What do you think?

Not everyone down here has a noticeable accent, no reason to actively try to fake it, but I will admit I've picked up some habits from living down here for so long ("y'all", "folks", the occasional twang). Just go with the flow man.

When I lived in the South (I'm originally from the North) I was there long enough to acquire some of the culture.

One big one was saying "Yes, Sir" or "Yes, Ma'am". I actually kind of like that. It's very polite and respectful. Even now, living on the East Coast, I still find myself saying that in the appropriate situations.

Go with the flow.
If it happens it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I'm not sure why you feel you need to change.

I think that if this is the only thing troubling you, you're to be congratulated.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/2...24-768.jpg

Y'all come beaak now!Hase

Just taken a second look at that pic.

Do you think the boxes of cornflakes in Grandmar' and Ellie-May's hands are product placement or have they been photo shopped there later on for some reason? The logo on the pack looks a little too modern and recent to be from the 1960's when that show was made.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like cats - they can see me!

^^^Hmm, that logo actually struck me as something that would come from around that time.

[Image: cornflakes.jpg]

Then I noticed there was visible shading on the logo in the photo that seems indicative of something more recent.

[Image: cornflakes-ianjone_1501093c.jpg]

Hard to tell from a grainy photo and undated cereal boxes though.

Good lord the things I do with my time.

Actually now would be a good time for someone to come in with a "This looks shopped" meme

If you force it, it will sound unnatural. As other have said, let things take place naturally. I lived in New Zealand for five years and didn't make any attempt to aquire the accent but when I returned to the UK I was told that I had a NZ twang. It's disappeared now.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

The internet is the best waste of man-kind's time ever invented.

Vigilias de Vigilans 2013.

And again off topic.

How do I post an image rather than having to put up a link to one?