Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedo = Gay?
I've been wondering why people in North America (especially the USA) look at guys wearing speedos in a weird-ish way. I mean, every time I travelled with my family and went to the hotel pool or the beach my father would get the weirdest looks until people'd seen him with my mom.

I used to get the weirdest looks too, but after the first time I never put a speedo in my bag again. I don't like the feeling of people watching me.

But in Brazil and places I've visited in Europe people just don't care at all. Anybody, gay or not, wear speedos if they feel like it. So why?

I always thought it was for the fact North Americans and Europeans have cooler weather then more Tropical/Subtropical places, so have adapted to a more "heat conservative" swim apparel.

Such as those dreadful overall/"long swimming trunks" British lads tend to wear(they come down past the Knees and look odd) . I've seen several come here and wear them and they get the oddest looks, believe you me :/

They look comical as all hell lol. Where as a Speedo, while not our preferred swim apparel, is also worn commonly, usually by very fit men :3

Its seen as a gay thing to some, because of probably 2 reasons;

1) They don't hide very much, and typically men who like to triapse around in pretty much only a loin cloth, are too free and open with their bodies, which is a trait given to gay men, since we apparently "advertise" ourselves this way.

(I.e - eye candy )

2) Men who are not as comfortable in their bodies and looks, are most likely jealous or uncomfortable with seeing that, because it reminds them of what they may lack, so in an effort to feel better, they try to slander and appropriate a stigma to it.

Like the whole gay thing in the bible. We all know it was a guy who didn't like getting fucked up his ass, so made it a rule not to. = Lame :I

Just rock your body as LMFAO say lol.

Forget haters :p.

Yeah was gonna say in Britain Speedos are completely alien but on continental Europe I think there popular. It probably jus way to cold here for them lol

Haha..

my Brazilian friend, up North they be still oftly puritan about things, plus remember there is colder weather overall..

If you travel closer, to where I live, you'll get weird looks too (we are overall quite conservative) it stems from different cultures and geographical locations

For example I wouldn't ever consider shaving anything, but I've heard a lot of Brazilians shave their arm pits or other body hair, and this is a measure of hygiene and comfort because of the heat

Over here you don't really need to, so the ones who do it are seen as..well, you know...

Eth21 Wrote:Yeah was gonna say in Britain Speedos are completely alien but on continental Europe I think there popular. It probably jus way to cold here for them lol
In France one has to be dressed appropriately to use a public swimming pool. The kind of shorts we wear in the UK are not allowed in pools in France. They are apparently considered unhygienic.

southbiochem Wrote:Haha..
I've hearda lot of Brazilians shave their armpits or other body hair, and this is a measure of hygiene and comfort because of the heat

That would be why such a shave is known as "A Brazilian" Rofl

ObW
X

Here in the states the Speedo is seen as 'sports gear' - sort of like shoulder pads, baseball bats, and spiked soled shoes.

Then there is the terrible habit of 'overly large' individuals squeezing themselves into the speedo.

And lastly in the 21st century there has been a general move away from skin tight fashions to wearing baggy - three times larger than you are type clothing.

Understand that those who have the body rarely actually flaunt it off the beach. Those who do tend to have 'attitudes' which people don't like.

So the speedo says a lot of things to the people of Norte America which isn't particularly nice in most cases.

Sylph your so right haha, though actually me and a friend noticed that the leg is getting higher, inch by inch, in the 90s they touched your ankles… :p though at least they get ABOVE the knee now… not all the time… there so ugly

I wore quite short shorts last summer (it was hot) and i wouldnt go any futher than that… unless on holiday.

Bowyn, what you said about "overly large" blokes is true, but you'll see that nowadays it's getting even more common. I mean, every time I go to the beach 50% of the guys I see are 'chubby'...

And southbiochem... Oh forget it, you're absolutely right. hahahaha

Here in Australia Budgie smugglers are normal.