Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Straight Couples hanging out in Gay Bars
zeon Wrote:Well try some where i live in brighton - UK.. Loads of venues and trust me u get lots of raving queens screamiung like girls who have discovered a wardrobe of shoes... Its not a pretty sight
Id rather have that than being embarrassed by finding out the guy Im hitting on is straight

I just asked one of my best gal-pals and she said, "Oh hell yes...i love going to gay bars. The drinks are poured better, the music's better, dance floor's bigger and I can go there with my other female friends and not have to worry about being hit on every 2 minutes like we do at str8 bars - plus gay men are so much more fun to hang out with...ahahah"

How long do you think it was going to take before str8 men found this out and started going to gay bars?

denx57 Wrote:And bars are not required to have any kind of device that determines the patrons actual level of blood alcohol. So, if a bartender did not like a person because of their race, or any other reason, they could just claim the patron was too drunk to be served.

But do bartenders not have to exercise reasonable judgement when serving or refusing to serve patrons, even if the courts do give them the benefit of the doubt. For example, if 10 people of good character swear on oath that they saw a bartender serve a white man his, say, eighth whisky and then refuse to serve an evidently sober black who had just entered the bar, would the courts believe the bartenders claim that he thought the black man was inebriated?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

DarkDaisuke Wrote:Id rather have that than being embarrassed by finding out the guy Im hitting on is straight

with most straight men apparently its eight pints and they are in Any holes a goal mode lol

fredv3b Wrote:But do bartenders not have to exercise reasonable judgement when serving or refusing to serve patrons, even if the courts do give them the benefit of the doubt. For example, if 10 people of good character swear on oath that they saw a bartender serve a white man his, say, eighth whisky and then refuse to serve an evidently sober black who had just entered the bar, would the courts believe the bartenders claim that he thought the black man was inebriated?

Fredv3b,
The sobriety laws are very strong here. And I think bar owners would throw a fit if they weren't allowed to have that discretion. Also, because of insurance company lobbyist and MADD(mothers against drunk drivers) the judges would be afraid to overrule the sobriety laws in favor of discrimination laws. But as far as I know, the situation you propose has never been tried in court... yet.

But bartenders have other ways to refuse to serve. They can ask for several forms of ID for instance. Perfectly legal. I went to a leather bar a few years ago. Because the bar got caught serving minors with fake ID's the bar owner decided to have a door man who demanded 3 forms of ID before entrance. Once inside you get a bar ID card issued that was enough along with a picture ID for future visits.

Some nights it feels like the straights have come out to see the gays in their native habitat, but our local pub is a free house as well as the home of the gay couple who run it, so I suppose the pressure to sell more of a particular brewery's beer is not as great. The owner also keeps a careful watch for any potential trouble. Our local haunt is also one of the few bars in the town centre not to require security at the door.

Whenever I've been to the Admiral Duncan in Soho the security man at the door makes a point of explaining I am about to enter a gay pub, as he searches my bag.

i think that sorta ruins the whole point of a gay bar/club
just my opinion

but some people may come with a gay friend

Snow Wrote:i think that sorta ruins the whole point of a gay bar/club
just my opinion

but some people may come with a gay friend
Interesting point. I'm not usually troubled by feeling I have to tone down my behaviour, but it is surprising how much safer and more at ease one can feel in a place where everyone just knows who we are and no explanations are sought or necessary. However there are many consequences of having anti-discrimination legislation in place.

hmm this is very interesting, personally i see straight guys in gay bars as a good thing, isnt it one step closer to equal rights and help put a end to homophobia? + straight guys are cute lol. as far as fights goes i've never heard of it well not here in the uk at least

Oh come on, not ALL straight guys are cute... just about the same as the gay population, by and large, I'd say... Some are cute and some aren't. Funny how many of my straight male colleagues I don't find cute...