Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuff going on in Libya
East Wrote:The problem is we paint ourselves as Heroes...it is sickening.

No argument from me.

East Wrote:Two words folks: RENEWABLE ENERGY!

Fantastic idea, when there is enough of it when and where it is needed, however until then....
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Hi all,
On this matter I tend to think as long as the innocent are not hurt that is all i care about... If people want to have wars then fine go ahead and have a game of risk and have a bloody good war but dont bring innocent people into it.. l have never been for or against war and rather keep my voice silent but all these wars are doing damage to the UK as a reputation i mean it wasnty that long ago we fought in iraq and then onto afganistan and now this??? You never hear of germany or australia or france or spain joining in the army fighting its always the bloody UK and USA i mean WTF is going on here why cant we just for once sort out our own country and allow other countries to sort their stuff out?

Oh, who knows who is right in these matters. Certainly not Russia or China, perhaps not France, Britain, Italy, and The United States. The Germans wont touch foreign territory since the Holocaust. Perhaps none of us should. I personally would like to see the United States close down all of its foreign military operation and bases and let the rest of the world support its own defense. I'm not too fond of getting the bill for it, frankly. The cost in lives and money is far too dear. And the world should police itself for a change.

I'm certain that there is more to the intervention than just a humanitarian effort. But how much of it is oil, I cannot say. The pentagon said it was not in our, the U.S. best interest to intervene. (I have no clue about France and Britain. I know Italy is heavily invested there) That is probably due to the fact that only a very small percentage of American oil acquisition comes from Libya. The United States has the full potential of supporting its own energy needs, if it wanted to. With its massive stores of Natural Gas and Coal. I imagine the expense of development and conversion is really the issues . . . and the fact that The U.S. is so much under the thumb of multinational corporations.

This is more like the Balkans intervention than Iraq. It's an attempt by NATO to look like it is doing something without actually having to undertake any real risk for itself.

Wintereis Wrote:The pentagon said it was not in our, the U.S. best interest to intervene.

The fact that the Pentagon said it suggests that they were referring to military intervention, whether the State Department regards other means of intervention as being in U.S. interests is an interesting question.
Fred

OrphanPip Wrote:It's an attempt by NATO to look like it is doing something without actually having to undertake any real risk for itself.

Pip, pretty much all NATO members are less much less keen on putting their armed forces in harm's way in defence of peripheral interests than the U.S. America is normally keen on maintaining a leading role within NATO, it should not be surprised if other members generally let it lead from the front.
Fred

Wintereis Wrote:... I personally would like to see the United States close down all of its foreign military operation and bases and let the rest of the world support its own defense. I'm not too fond of getting the bill for it, frankly. The cost in lives and money is far too dear. And the world should police itself for a change ...
I've long held a similar point of view and it's a pleasure to be able to agree with you ... I hope that doesn't put you off Wink

It irritates the life out of me to have to submit to a pat-down at the gate and the indignity of trying to conform to American rules of the road when driving on British soil to visit friends who happen to be serving in the US air force and stationed here in the U.K. It feels like an occupying force.

fredv3b Wrote:The fact that the Pentagon said it suggests that they were referring to military intervention, whether the State Department regards other means of intervention as being in U.S. interests is an interesting question.

I don't know how the Pentagon characterizes military intervention, but personally, I would say launching tomahawk missiles into a foreign country is military intervention.

And, as far as the State Department is concerned, there are a plethora of interests there that I have already mentioned and probably more.

At Marshlander, not put off by it at all. It is not as interesting of a debate, but I can handle that too.

As far as the pat down and the U.S. driving rules, if you didn't have bases over there you wouldn't have those friends to visit. It is odd. I haven't been to a military base in several years, but I never got a pat down when I went to one. Though, each time I was accompanied by a member of the military and each time I was on American soil. Though, I do remember my Aunt getting after our German exchange student for taking pictures of Aircraft Carriers and nuclear subs when we were at Norfolk.

Wintereis Wrote:I don't know how the Pentagon characterizes military intervention, but personally, I would say launching tomahawk missiles into a foreign country is military intervention.

So were they saying the President's orders were unwarranted or just commenting on further intervention.

I had assumed the latter, but had neglected to make that clear.
Fred