Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tell Me Bout American BBQ!
Okay, so this is very confusing to me for some reason...I really like cooking especially grilling stuff..But please, do explain some things.

1. Why do Americans have barbecues that have like...two stories? Like this one:

[Image: barbecue-4x-pxl_smartscale.jpg]

Is it just for convenience? Here in Bulgaria most people either use those smaller circular ones, or have it built out of bricks and stuff.

2. What's the difference between grilling something and using the barbecue to cook it? Or is it the same?

3. How do you make those real nice potatoes that aren't exactly...grilled, but you don't bury them in the coals either?

This has been bothering me for a long time now, so I thought I'd ask :d

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:Okay, so this is very confusing to me for some reason...I really like cooking especially grilling stuff..But please, do explain some things.

Ok, I'll try to answer. But keep in mind I'm not an expert.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:1. Why do Americans have barbecues that have like...two stories?

Is it just for convenience? Here in Bulgaria most people either use those smaller circular ones, or have it built out of bricks and stuff.

The grill I have at home doesn't have two stories, but a lot of grills now do here in America. The bottom grill is closer to the coals/fire, so it gets more heat, it's generally used for cooking the food.

The top grill is away from the direct heat, so it's used more to "warm" things instead of cooking them. In the pic you posted, the top grill has buns and sauce on them. This way, the buns are warm or toasted, and the sauce is at a warm temperature so when it's used on the meat, it doesn't cause the meat's temperature to drop.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:2. What's the difference between grilling something and using the barbecue to cook it? Or is it the same?

Well, here in America we have "grill pans" that can grill food on an oven, so grilling doesn't mean you are BBQing it. When you BBQ, you are cooking on a grill over open heat/flame.

With a pan like this:

[Image: 41TAES3Q7XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

You can get the healthy aspect of grilling. The meat stays on the raised grill parts, and the fat drips out below.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:3. How do you make those real nice potatoes that aren't exactly...grilled, but you don't bury them in the coals either?

This one I can't help you with! Sorry.

SlipknotRlZZ Wrote:This has been bothering me for a long time now, so I thought I'd ask :d

I hope the answers I gave helps out, at least a little!

VietNam cranks out a billion of these and ships them here. Walmart has convinced the public they must have them. peeps buy them, use them once, and the hornets make nests in them afterwards.

you asked.

Aahh, thank you @CellarDweller! This really helped a lot. And we have the same pans here, we use them a lot actually, but I never knew that's what grilling is. Thanks!