Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testosterone gels?
Hi all

Been diagnosed with low T (just barely above normal) and my doc, with some reluctance I might add, prescribed androgel. I'm wondering if anyone else here is on hormone therapy and how it worked out for ie: libido :confused: because mine is in the dumps:frown:

DM

I have never used it (maybe in the future), but I work in a pharmacy, and let me tell you, this item is a hot sell, like we have boxes and boxes full of this crap in our Fast section because it's so popular, so I'm guessing it works really well (the only side effect is really the cost, because it's like $300 USD just for 1 month worth).

I'm thinking it would work really well because it really pumps you up, both literally and figuratively.

I don't know if it is listed on the package, but it may exacerbate male pattern hair loss in individuals susceptible to androgen related hair loss.

interesting Wrote:I'm thinking it would work really well because it really pumps you up, both literally and figuratively.

You think eh?.....the package says you start to feel the effects within 2 to 4 weeks. It's been two and nothing really yet:frown:

jeffrey Wrote:I don't know if it is listed on the package, but it may exacerbate male pattern hair loss in individuals susceptible to androgen related hair loss.

No hair loss in the family at all....lol the package says you may get hairier :biggrin: I have no hair on my back and with my luck, that's all I'll get from this stuff.....

DM

Dieselman Wrote:You think eh?.....the package says you start to feel the effects within 2 to 4 weeks. It's been two and nothing really yet:frown:

No hair loss in the family at all....lol the package says you may get hairier :biggrin: I have no hair on my back and with my luck, that's all I'll get from this stuff.....

DM

If you have a good head of hair and no family history of hair loss, then you may not have the genetics for hair loss. Testosterone may increase body hair, hair in the ears, nose, etc. This elevated level of testosterone will be metabolized into dihydrotestosterone and that is what's responsible for hair loss and increased body hair.

I would also talk to a doctor about a prostate exam before starting a regimen consisting of testosterone. Testosterone can fuel the growth of prostate cancer if it ever does develop.

I'm not sure, but I suspect that it may be DHT that fuels the male libido to a greater extent than testosterone. My reason for thinking so is this: Finasteride and Dutasteride inhibit the metabolization of testosterone into DHT, but some men that take these medications experience a decrease in libido. The interesting thing is that by inhibiting the breakdown of testosterone into DHT, testosterone levels increase. If testosterone fueled the libido it would appear that the libido would increase significantly, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Even without a history of hair loss, if levels of testosterone are high enough then there may be a potential for hair loss. Women also have serum levels of testosterone, but they don't have nearly as much as a man, therefore they rarely experience the same degree of hair loss. If women opt for F2M SRS and begin HRT then they may develop male pattern hair loss. Usually women experience diffuse thinning as opposed to pattern hair loss.

In some cases testosterone therapy can lead to gynecomastia (breast enlargement) We see this with some male bodybuilders.

Would an estrogen blocker work? We get tested for hormone stuff in the military, so people take estrogen blockers in order to get big quick. I dont know if it works or not in all honesty though...

rakmatis Wrote:Would an estrogen blocker work? We get tested for hormone stuff in the military, so people take estrogen blockers in order to get big quick. I dont know if it works or not in all honesty though...

I'd be rather surprised if it did.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.