Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Debates
Just watched the debate. Dear Lord, please let Obama/Biden win. I can't imagine that woman being so close to the Presidency.jujusmith a blogger reported And I agree 100%

How is this a debate?

Shes constantly reading a piece of paper.
Com'on lady learn some of your policies, your trying to become the frickin vice president Twak!

One small way Palin annoyed me was the start "Can I call you Joe" and how she constantly looks directly at the camera, she scares me when she does it!

From this debate all I'm seeing is that McCain has no clue what to do with the country, Palin is just a pritty face to help him get their.

I think the scariest part of the debate was when the question came to Palins "joke" (?) about the duties of the vice president.

She responded that the constitution was flexible concerning the VP duties and that it was her opinion that the VP should/could have more power!

Biden went on to say that the current VP Chaney was THE MOST DANGEROUS VP IN THE HISTORY OF AMERICA and that the constitution was extremely clear on the duties of the VP NOT flexible!

GOD HELP US!

Will it appears that some of Americans us have a brain, this mornings polls show Biden ahead by over 30 points.
The statement about her being middle class may have done her more harm. Most of us know for a fact that her family makes over $25,000.00 a year and that sure is not middle class.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/entert...gaynews.org.uk

Hollywood urged to give more to save gay marriage
Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:43pm BST

By Jill Serjeant

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hollywood, long considered a bastion of liberal thinking, is being chided for not opening its wallet to save the right to same-sex marriage in California even as several A-list gays and lesbians rush to the altar.

With a month to go before a November 4 referendum seeking to abolish the newly won right of same-sex couples to marry in California, some in the entertainment community are anxious that more of their own are not supporting gay rights by donating money to defeat the proposed ban.

So far, the largest celebrity donations have come from actor Brad Pitt and director Steven Spielberg who each contributed $100,000 each last month to help defeat the ballot proposal, known as Proposition 8.

"We are concerned that the entertainment industry hasn't stepped up to the plate to fight this unnecessary initiative ... Now it's time for the entertainment industry as a whole to take the lead," activist Jonathan Lewis said on Wednesday.

Lewis, an entrepreneur from Ohio, said his family would match the next $500,000 that entertainment industry leaders contribute to the "No on Prop 8" campaign.

Hundreds of gays and lesbians have married since a May decision by the California Supreme Court overturning a state ban on same-sex marriage.

But opponents of the ruling put the issue up for a state-wide referendum that seeks to amend the California constitution to allow marriage only between a man and a woman.

Recent opinion polls show that 38 percent of California voters would support a ban on same-sex marriage with 55 percent opposed. But supporters of the ban, including several religious and conservative groups, have edged ahead in fund-raising. Continued...

CELEBRITY SIDE EFFECTS

By late September, opponents of gay marriage had raised $14.7 million, while supporters brought in $13.5 million, according the official records.

An article in the Los Angeles gay magazine In-LA last month headlined "Mega A-Gays Missing in Fight Against Prop 8" noted that state records show Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi, Melissa Etheridge, Rosie O'Donnell and international gays such as Elton John have not contributed any cash.

But many in Hollywood also argue that the high-profile wedding of popular chat show host DeGeneres to actress de Rossi in August brought the kind of publicity money cannot buy.

DeGeneres, who in 1997 became the first openly gay lead character on U.S. prime-time network TV, also has used her talk show and an appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" to urge Californians to maintain same-sex marriage.

Still, says Steve Smith, a consultant for the "No on Prop 8" campaign, money is important.

"California is a very expensive state to communicate with voters. Celebrity money in some ways goes a little further. It gets more reported and that adds to the benefit of the contribution itself," Smith said.

"My guess is that after Pitt and Spielberg's donations we are going to see more of that money," Smith added.

To bolster its funds, the "No on Prop 8" campaign will hold an entertainment industry fundraiser this month.
However, celebrity giving can backfire.

"On word that Brad Pitt had donated $100,000 to the No campaign, we had an individual who read that and himself donated $100,000 to us," said Jennifer Kearns, spokeswoman for the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign. "So sometimes the high-profile nature of these things can have the unintended effect of helping the other side."

Barack's backing - PinkPaper

Barack's backing
San Francisco

news.PinkPaper.comFriday, 3 October 2008
5 August 2008Post your comment
US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has come out in opposition to the California ballot measure that would amend the state constitution to undo the state Supreme Court’s legalisation of same-sex marriage. Gay couples have been able to marry since 16 June. “I want to congratulate all of you who have shown your love for each other by getting married these last few weeks,” Obama said in a letter to San Francisco’s gay Democratic forum.

yar Wrote:The statement about her being middle class may have done her more harm. Most of us know for a fact that her family makes over $25,000.00 a year and that sure is not middle class.

They released her statements this afternoon and her family made over $100,000 with pretty low taxes. I was a bit surprised by the amount of taxes, like under $20,000. And their charitable giving was even more shocking. It was under $5,0000

Star Twister Wrote:Barack's backing - PinkPaper

Barack's backing
San Francisco

news.PinkPaper.comFriday, 3 October 2008
5 August 2008Post your comment
US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has come out in opposition to the California ballot measure that would amend the state constitution to undo the state Supreme Court’s legalisation of same-sex marriage. Gay couples have been able to marry since 16 June. “I want to congratulate all of you who have shown your love for each other by getting married these last few weeks,” Obama said in a letter to San Francisco’s gay Democratic forum.

This is GREAT news. I had not seen this. Thanks for posting S.T.

Palin gets more time to detail personal finances - Decision '08 - MSNBC.com
The financial reports that Palin has filed in Alaska over the years show the Palins have often had several sources of income. Last year, for example, Sarah Palin earned $125,000 as governor. Her husband took in $46,790 as a part-time oil production operator for BP Alaska in Prudhoe Bay, $46,265 commercial fishing for salmon from June to July in Bristol Bay, and $10,500 in Iron Dog snow machine race winnings.

Presidential, vice presidential and congressional candidates must all file ethics reports outlining their assets and liabilities. That includes such things as sources of income, real estate held for investment purposes, stocks and debt. She has not complied with this as of now.

Star Twister Wrote:... "On word that Brad Pitt had donated $100,000 to the No campaign, we had an individual who read that and himself donated $100,000 to us," said Jennifer Kearns, spokeswoman for the "Yes on Prop 8" campaign. "So sometimes the high-profile nature of these things can have the unintended effect of helping the other side."
Heart warming that Brad Pitt is prepared to back up his words with financial support. That do impress me much. Wink

Really struggle to get my head round the idea that those who can and enjoy the idea of marriage have the power to deny it to others. This makes a strong case for legislators to step in and pull the rug from under such spiteful, mean-spirited behaviour. It seems no one has the balls to make it happen.

In the past people have sought to continue denying the vote to others, but those barriers have been swept away in reforms. Surely empowering the disenfranchised has had a far greater effect on society than allowing people to marry the person they love will ever have?

For all his, and his party's faults, I think Blair's support for civil partnership legislation in the UK was even more remarkable. They could just have easily given in to prejudice.

WATCH !!!!!!!!!!

American Elections - Gayspeak.com