Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Handmaids Tale
I am currently watching The Handmaids Tale on Tv, watched episode 2 earlier on, has any one else seen it and what do you think?

I know there was a movie version in 1990 but I can't find it here on DVD or Blu Ray. I have also ordered the book.
An eye for an eye

I haven't read the book or watched the movie, but I am caught up on the show.

I think it started off strong, the middle episodes haven't grabbed me in the same way the first few did, but the last few have pulled me back in. Overall I am still really into it.

Whenever it comes to like a dystopia or an apocalypse movie, my favorite parts are when they focus on the breakdown of "normal" society, not necessarily the aftermath. The Handmaid's Tale has given me some of that, but I want more. I guess they are dishing it out in pieces, although I do get a general idea of what happened.

What I'm kind of hung up on, is how quickly their world changed. I feel like there would be more resistance, more fighting. That people wouldn't so easily be sucked into such a separate reality. But maybe I'm just projecting. Also I'm curious about the role of race in it. I feel like they made a big point of showing June with a lot of people of color before, that she was in an interracial relationship, that her child is mixed. But the new society is very white. A friend of mine who read the book said that the book talks about "resettlement" in the colonies for non whites, but that hasn't really been addressed in the show yet, if it will be at all.

The most recent episodes have me thinking a lot of thoughts, but I wont go into it since you're still on episode 2. But when you catch up let me know, and I'm more than happy to dissect and overthink any of the previous episodes too.

I watched the first two episodes and in the beginning of the second I found my attention wandering. In the end, in spite of the fact that the series has had very fgood reviews, I decided to give up. After the two awful terrorist attacks in the UK; Manchester and London Bridge/Borough Market, I decided that real life was more important and depressing enough without my having to immerse myself in fictional misery. I need something to uplift my spirits.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Watching episode 4 , this series is very good. Also finally read the book which the show is based on.
An eye for an eye

My experience seems to be similar to Emiliano.

Though I actually quite like the idea of the US changing so quickly.

Some of the stuff I'm about to talk about could be considered spoiler-y, so here's a:

SPOILER WARNING
I like the way the show is using the age of June's daughter to give us an idea of how rapid the changes were.

Also, there is an ongoing civil war, if I remember right, the rebels are mentioned to be based in Alaska, and only have control of two states(with a front line currently being in Chicago?)

I get the feeling the show knows that the series of events that led to the status-quo is one of its most interesting threads. So it's going to be drip fed to us. Especially as such would fit with June trying to avoid losing herself in the happier past.

Also, the show is placing the audience in the same position as June, largely ignorant of the national and international situation.
I get the feeling we may discover at the end that The Eyes are no where near as powerful and in control as it appears to us.

SPOILER WARNING END

If it isn't obvious, I haven't read the books, and I saw the film so long ago that I barely remember anything.
Really interested to see where things go though.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so