Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Measels?
I keep hearing about a "measles epidemic" and they even tracked this one lady and reported at what time she was in each store so people could find out if they were infected....

My question...I didn't know measles ever went away....and I thought everyone got it. I had the measles...chicken pox...and mumps all in a row one year....

Has everyone else had the measles already?...or did the disease become rare?

I have all them and the chicken pox I had the German measles ,mumps all as a kid do not remember them tho I was really young when I got them .

I've had chicken pox. But never measles or mumps. Don't they inoculate infants or kids for them or something?

Good question...I am assuming they must now because they are acting like it is a rare occurance. I am guessing that I missed something. Everyone when I was young it seemed had the measles so I am wondering why all the fuss? It wasn't so bad...

they made us get the kids shots for that stuff before they could start school but that was a few years ago

I never had it. Never had mumps either. Had Whooping Cough in the first grade.

There are stories online with details, and broadcast news has been full of it.

The incidence of the disease has been much lower than 1% for decades in the U.S. They don't seem to be discussing much about the variant, as it seems to be English Measles as opposed to Rubella.

Mayo Clinic lists the complications:

Complications of measles may include:

Ear infection. One of the most common complications of measles is a bacterial ear infection.
Bronchitis, laryngitis or croup. Measles may lead to inflammation of your voice box (larynx) or inflammation of the inner walls that line the main air passageways of your lungs (bronchial tubes).
Pneumonia. Pneumonia is a common complication of measles. People with compromised immune systems can develop an especially dangerous variety of pneumonia that is sometimes fatal.
Encephalitis. About 1 in 1,000 people with measles develops encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain that may cause vomiting, convulsions, and, rarely, coma or even death. Encephalitis can closely follow measles, or it can occur months later.
Pregnancy problems. If you're pregnant, you need to take special care to avoid measles because the disease can cause pregnancy loss, preterm labor or low birth weight.
Low platelet count (thrombocytopenia). Measles may lead to a decrease in platelets — the type of blood cells that are essential for blood clotting.

Vaccine programs over the past 30+ years have all but wiped out many common childhood diseases. The number of cases is a spit in the ocean compared to the number of children out there.

This year it appears that the measles has spread further and affects more individuals than in the past decade or more.

That and its a slow news week, no real terrorist bombings to report, thus the media has turned its attention on Measles.

The stupid thing about it is that there was that other disease last year: Enterovirus

That was actually a lot more dangerous with more potential to do serious harm here in the states than Ebola. But it barely got any coverage when it was spreading like a wildfire.

The Nooz Media picks and chooses what it wants to make front page headlines. I suspect that the outbreak of Measles isn't that bad and is being hyped like so many other things.

It is in the news because being a vaccine "choicer" is a thing... we have politicians, including my idiot governor, convincing people that the big scary government is infringing on their rights by making them get their children vaccinated.

Yesterday, I saw an article where a senator in NC is trying to change the law so restaurants can "opt out of" the "regulatory burden" of requiring workers to wash their hands.

The thing is, East, that these "childhood" diseases can be much more serious for adults than for children. Shingles is a good example of that.

I would avoid measles if I thought there was even a slight chance of contracting it.
I bid NO Trump!

This has been enlightening for me. There are some things...well...alot of things Rofl...that sail right on by me...

I was wondering why all of a sudden the measels were getting so much press when all along I thought everyone got them...I didn't even know there was a vaccine for them?

ON the local news it stated that the woman who had them was in the Costco in Gilroy and I was thinking...gee...I was in that Costco too around the same time though I didn't stop to calculate exactly when because I thought it was absurd. After I kept hearing about it....I checked my receipt and realized it was two days beforehand.

I was thinking maybe it was a new news trend...deadly disease scare of the week...after the ebola things died down.