Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Situation in Ukraine (and How to Help)
I think it is without question that the actions of Putin are horrendous and I wish there was something more that can be done (that wouldn't result in nuclear war) like establishing a no fly zone. So, what's the next best thing we can do? Afterall, weapons and anti-tank missiles are effective but a lot of people have been displaced, a lot of people are in need of basic things, food, water, blood, an so on.

There are many organizations that are taking donations that aren't listed here. Some information about these organizations I pulled from this article. Some of the links show information about donating with crypto currency and likewise I have no way to know the validity of the addresses listed.

Voices of Children Foundation - https://voices.org.ua/en/

Razom For Ukraine - https://razomforukraine.org/

Care.org - https://www.care.org/

Sunflower of Peace - https://www.sunflowerofpeace.com/

Come Back Alive Foundation - https://savelife.in.ua/en/donate/

If you are in the region you can donate blood, https://zaborona.com/en/how-to-help-the-...end-money/

Currently, I do not know if those of us abroad can donate blood for the efforts in Ukraine. I do know that blood can be transported overseas (it's a little bit of logistics involved) but I don't know if the American Red Cross is sending blood to Ukraine (the US is also low on blood supply according the Red Cross).

That all being said, if you have information to share please do so.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Meebs

Live protests in St. Petersburg

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Do you think it would actually result in nuclear war?

I'm not sure I'm convinced it would come to that and I do wonder at times if we should test him on his threats.

It's painful to watch what has been happening in Ukraine, I understand our hands are tied and it's very scary but for Ukrainians - war is already upon them.

I do feel bad for the Russian population as well. Hopefully they rise up and overthrow Putin and stop the war.

(03-11-2022, 08:02 PM)Rawr Wrote: Do you think it would actually result in nuclear war?

I'm not sure I'm convinced it would come to that and I do wonder at times if we should test him on his threats.

That is a good question and my uneducated and uninformed opinion is that no. I don't think Putin would resort to nuclear war right off the bat but it does raise the risk a good bit. Meaning it might be a nuclear war immediately but could boil over to becoming one. However, I think his threats of such is because that's the only good card in his hand. In my opinion Russia would be severely outmatched in a conventional war between the US and the rest of NATO.

In my opinion the US should have carried out Poland's offer to fly the MiG's to Germany. Yes it would have pissed Putin off more but I don't think that would have escalated things more than they are.

(03-11-2022, 08:02 PM)Rawr Wrote: It's painful to watch what has been happening in Ukraine, I understand our hands are tied and it's very scary but for Ukrainians - war is already upon them.

I do feel bad for the Russian population as well. Hopefully they rise up and overthrow Putin and stop the war.

It is enraging what Russian forces are resorting to. It is sickening that they resort to bombing schools, kindergartens and more recently a children's hospital and maternity ward. What kind of sick fuck does that? I mean I get from a military strategy that you're going to go after military installations, airports, but this shit against civilians is uncalled for and does nothing but cement hatred for Putin and Russia by those in Ukraine and certainly does so for the rest of the west.

Based on what I hear from the media is that many Russians do have family in Ukraine and many do not support the war and that some 14,000 people were arrested in Russia for protesting and may face many years in prison (I've heard 7 or 15 years). Either way, my guess is that a lot of people are very much against the war when people are risking going to prison.

The question I have is one that's not really being explored and that is where does China stand in all this? China & Russia are quasi allies but they have no treaties between the two countries. My guess is they're more neutral but also uncomfortable that there is a conflict involving their neighbor. But I am open to some insight in that area.

I don't Putin had a contingency plan for all that has taken place. I think he thought he could go in there like the US did in Iraq and just steamroll through the country, overthrow the government and make quick work of it. I don't think he imagined sanctions. I mean when I hear sanctions I usually roll my eyes, but these actually had quick and devastating effects.

I do hope that either people in Russia rise up or that his inner circle show him an early retirement or to his grave.

All I can say is if hell exists I hope the fire burns hotter for people like Putin and the people who carried out attacks on civilians.

That being said, I did donate some money to Sunflower of Peace which is supposed to help those who have been impacted by the invasion. They are a US based non-profit. Since I can't send them arterillary and I personally have neither the military training or the means to do anything other than donate to organizations that will hopefully benefit people over there.

I will stop here as this is largely an emotional response, I can tell my blood pressure is rising lol

#GloryToUkraine
Check out my stuff!

People in Russia have been totally brainwashed because their media only show them what Putin wants them to see. They don't get to see what's actually happening in Ukraine. We have such people in Latvia too, who claim to know history, saying that Ukraine deserves it and it's Ukraine's fault. As if any history could justify war.

No, I don't think Putin would use nuclear weapons. Based on how bad the equipment of his army is, so old and often non-functional, I wouldn't be surprised if the nuclear weapons are in the same state. Putin has severely miscalculated on this war, Ukrainians have turned out much tougher than he or the rest of the world thought.

We Latvians are slightly worried, as Putin has gathered part of his army at the west border, which is the border of the Baltic states. But at the same time, we understand he cannot even conquer Ukraine which he was sure he could do in a few days, so, therefore, has no resources or the wish to fight NATO. He already has massive losses both militarily and financially. He's also terrified of NATO, as he knows Russia alone cannot stand against 28 other countries.

(03-12-2022, 10:20 AM)Tjemka88 Wrote: People in Russia have been totally brainwashed because their media only show them what Putin wants them to see. They don't get to see what's actually happening in Ukraine. We have such people in Latvia too, who claim to know history, saying that Ukraine deserves it and it's Ukraine's fault. As if any history could justify war.

They absolutely have. I looked at RT on YouTube and all I can say is they're desperate to justify their attack on Ukraine. I would have to be hit in the head several times with a sledgehammer to believe the bullshit on their news media. Unfortunately China's state run media is echoing the same...

I do feel that is a problem. That might be Putin's only hope that China will come to the rescue if Russia decides to attack a NATO member. I don't know much about China's political interests and what the likelihood that they would get involved should this conflict spread into NATO or something else. They have been pretty quiet on the international stage but their state media says it all in my opinion.

(03-12-2022, 10:20 AM)Tjemka88 Wrote: No, I don't think Putin would use nuclear weapons. Based on how bad the equipment of his army is, so old and often non-functional, I wouldn't be surprised if the nuclear weapons are in the same state. Putin has severely miscalculated on this war, Ukrainians have turned out much tougher than he or the rest of the world thought.

We Latvians are slightly worried, as Putin has gathered part of his army at the west border, which is the border of the Baltic states. But at the same time, we understand he cannot even conquer Ukraine which he was sure he could do in a few days, so, therefore, has no resources or the wish to fight NATO. He already has massive losses both militarily and financially. He's also terrified of NATO, as he knows Russia alone cannot stand against 28 other countries.

That is concerning in itself too. I don't think Russia can afford a years long conflict with Ukraine. However, let's hope that with pressure from the US and NATO that isn't the case. I feel that it is pointless for us to sit back in our recliners and watch Putin slaughter innocent people for no fucking reason. This cannot be allowed to continue.

All I can say is if Russia were to attack Latvia or any other NATO member Putin would be making a huge miscalculation to say the least. He would be fucking stupid to so much as throw a rock over the border.

From my observations support for Ukraine in the US is very much bipartisan. Calling on Biden to do more and we need to do more. To quote Bill Gates, we need to "cut off their oxygen supply."

Listening to a retired Air Force meteorologist I think weather conditions over Ukraine over the couple of months will only make it worse for Russia to advance as much of ground is frozen, which will turn to mud...which has been a big problem and I can only hope that the Ukrainians can only further exploit this and if not destroy their tanks that they desert them and can then use them against the Russians.

Well again this stuff makes my blood boil. My typical disdain for Putin has turned into vile and utter hatred for the man.
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Tjemka88

Well, whether Ukraine wins or loses, this war will definitely crumble Putin's realm in one way or the other. Some say he's mentally unwell. Personally, I don't think that's the case. I think he knows very well what he's doing, what he has done and he knows that a severe punishment awaits him as a war criminal. That's why he most likely won't allow himself to be captured alive.

I kind of wonder what ties the oligarchs have to Putin. I would be a tad unhappy if my $500 million dollar super yacht was sized...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/superyach...e_facebook&ncid=engmodushpmg00000003
Check out my stuff!