Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sound of Silence
Have you heard this version of this song:

This is such a heart-breaking piece. Always has been. And Disturbed version is even more so; it's so dramatic and powerful. Draiman's voice is damn amazing. It drives the point home more than in any other version of this piece that I've heard.

People let opportunities go and pass them by. They don't take their chances when they have them. For no meaningful reason at all, just for fear of taking a chance, or thinking they will get another one sooner or later, or just because it feels awkward or uncomfortable. People miss out on life. They miss out on connecting with life and other people around them. Not speaking up at the right moment. Not touching another person when they need to and have the chance. Not letting themselves fully love and denying themselves pleasure.

This is sad, and tragic. It's unnecessary. We should all live life fully, with every breath that we take. We don't have anything else.

----

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping

And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening

People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dare
Disturb the sound of silence

''Fools,'' said I, ''You do not know:
Silence, like a cancer, grows.
Hear my words that I might teach you.
Take my arms that I might reach you''.

But my words like silent raindrops fell
And echoed in the wells of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
And the words that it was forming

And the sign said,
''The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls''.
And whispered with the sound of silence.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Oh yes, I love Disturbed awesome band. The Sound of Silence is iconic, and it was such a relief to hear them to a great cover of this song. Draiman managed to give his metal flair to the piece while capturing the message of the song. Basically it's brilliant.

I liked the Disturbed version but still like Simon & Garfunkel's version better. I may have posted it a while back but this was performed in 2009 and they still sound very good..

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I'm not into that cover. I don't think it's bad, it's just not to my taste.
The original is one of my favorite songs, I've never heard a cover that I thought touched it.

I know the original, and I like that too. But it never hit me like Disturbed version does. I understood the song only mildly and passingly. It didn't hold my attention. Disturbed really drives this song home for me. I didn't even recognize the lyrics until I heard Draiman sing them. I had no idea what the lyrics were about until today, when I finally got my hands on the Disturbed version. I guess that's part of the beauty of it -- how different versions affect different people differently.

Simon & Garfunkel do not have the same intensity of emotion behind it like Disturbed. Disturbed is powerful. I love that intensity in their interpretation of the song. It's what this song deserves -- passion and more intensity. It is a very emotional piece, and that emotion needs to be on the foreground, raw and blatant.

Disturbed is also dark. They have extracted this darkness that others haven't focused on. I think it's ingenious. I never knew it could be this dark, and it is. The way Disturbed has rendered it like that deserves recognition. It's ominous, fateful, tragic, and dark. It's true, it is a different song than that of Simon & Garfunkel's.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

I thought it was an interesting interpretation of the original. It provokes different emotions to the original, but music has the power to do that to words.

I'm totally in love with this version of the song. Dave Draiman knows just how to take this song and craft it into something that brings out the emotion in this song.

I love this cover. One of my favorite covers of all time.

I think the original version is kinda unic.

I like more the first half of this version than the second half.

It's not like the second half is not good - it's magnificent and moving, but it's also this make it lost the tone of the song. It becomes too much alike with many other songs in recent years that posses this feeling of solemness which doesn't feel "silence" anymore, and it's kind of too much at the end.

But nonetheless it's still brilliant and make me interested in this band (is it?).