Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Super Bowl Coca-Cola ad...
The headline reads "ignites online debate"

I* think we can leave it at that...

philsguy95 Wrote:... just like a song about Switzerland should be sung in Swiss. Things that are so massively representative of a cultural should retain that culture's fundamental identity, if that makes sense.
Not really. Which of Switzerland's four official languages did you have in mind (none of which are called "Swiss" by the way)?

Why shouldn't people sing something important in a language that carries meaning for them?

As it happens I love to sing songs in other languages as well as English. My work often gives me this opportunity.

philsguy95 Wrote:I know I might get hit hard for this, but I didn't like the ad when I saw it. I wasn't banging my head against a wall over it, but think of it in reverse: if we ever tried that with a patriotic song of another nation, we'd get crucified for it. A song about America should be sung in English, just like a song about Switzerland should be sung in Swiss. Things that are so massively representative of a cultural should retain that culture's fundamental identity, if that makes sense.

To me, if this was the case, then all Americans should be barred from singing;

Feliz Navidad
Frere Jacques

Forbade to use loan words such as;

Menage' a Tois
Deja Vu
Collage

And stripped of all "non-american" food. Because these things are significant and come from a separate culture from America, so why does America freely use other countries recipes, words, songs?

Americans are too sensitive I think to their culture. It's not like you're small enough that within a generation or two it will disappear wholly. Chicken

It took less than 30 years for Bermudians to reconnect to West Indian roots with the infusion of Jamaicans and other Caribbean people. Reggae hit us in 1970's and now it's probably the most prevalent music here along with Soca, likewise with nearly all things "island" or Caribbean, seeing as how we are so small. Similar with countries like Belize, who have nearly an identical patois and speech pattern to Jamaicans, thanks to their influence.

Granted we technically already originated from the same roots as other Caribbean people, so their influence wasn't hard to adapt to, but Americans make it seem as if though within a day, if they allow it, America will become Americana de Empire

Coffee

marshlander Wrote:Not really. Which of Switzerland's four official languages did you have in mind? None of them are "Swiss" by the way.

Why shouldn't people sing something important in a language that carries meaning for them?

As it happens I love to sing songs in other languages as well as English. My work often gives me this opportunity.

I was typing that out and realized this and just didn't feel like editing it, which should tell you how little I truly care about this supposed outrage. haha

Sylph Wrote:To me, if this was the case, then all Americans should be barred from singing;

Feliz Navidad
Frere Jacques

Forbade to use loan words such as;

Menage' a Tois
Deja Vu
Collage

And stripped of all "non-american" food. Because these things are significant and come from a separate culture from America, so why does America freely use other countries recipes, words, songs?

Americans are too sensitive I think to their culture. It's not like you're small enough that within a generation or two it will disappear wholly. Chicken

It took less than 30 years for Bermudians to reconnect to West Indian roots with the infusion of Jamaicans and other Caribbean people. Reggae hit us in 1970's and now it's probably the most prevalent music here along with Soca, likewise with nearly all things "island" or Caribbean, seeing as how we are so small. Similar with countries like Belize, who have nearly an identical patois and speech pattern to Jamaicans, thanks to their influence.

Granted we technically already originated from the same roots as other Caribbean people, so their influence wasn't hard to adapt to, but Americans make it seem as if though within a day, if they allow it, America will become Americana de Empire

Coffee

Well, those words don't really carry much cultural significance nor are they representative of any mass cultural values or ideals, so I have to disagree with you on that. Anyway, as someone with strong island roots, I understand your perspective and agree partially, I just see things differently, I suppose. Smile

That probably sounds harsher than I intended it to.

Seriously, if one treats a song as an historical artefact I think it is important to maintain cultural characteristics so that its roots may be traced. I am deeply involved in English folk traditions and I understand that. There are many beautiful songs that have stood the test of time and evoke important connections. However there are also many "traditional" songs that espouse outmoded or irrelevant values that I choose not to sing or I change the language to something more appropriate to the audience and the occasion.

I don't know where I am on the mandatory speaking of English in a stupid coca-cola commercial, but more than not, I couldn't give two shits.

It was clearly made to represent the diversity of America today, and how that makes it a beautiful country, one that needs to waste their hard earned money on bubbly sugar water; to ponder deeper into some imaginary message, spiraling into a ridiculous debate is stupidity, conquered up by gun-totin', wishy-washy "patriots" strung up on the mythological propaganda kool-aid that is American exceptionalism..

Maybe if the song was of the American Anthem, I could possibly understand why some people would have a problem, (maybe) but it wasn't, so they need to sit the fuck down.

On the issue of people not learning to speak English in this country... that's only a small minority of immigrants who refuse to, and regardless, that's their problem! If they want to stay segregated in their own little communities, the more power to them! Unfortunately, because of that personal choice, they will never reach the full potential that can come from speaking English in this country, as many doors will remain shut. If anything, I'm against them never fulfilling such potential after arriving in this country.

Now, if someone is bilingual, and speaks both English and their native tongue, but chooses to only speak that native tongue when with others that also do, in my presence, well, that's their American right to do so! Who am I to object to that? I wouldn't want someone else dictating what language I should speak! Is it "rude" for them to do so? Not necessarily, as that's up for personal interpretation. If they don't want me to understand what they're saying when in the company of others that speak their native tongue, why should I care? Sure, I'll admit that I've at times thought (perhaps irrationally) that maybe they were saying something nasty about me, given the looks given in my direction... but even if they were, what others think or say about me is none of my damn business, so I don't care in the end!

Btw, just throwing it out there, I'm much more concerned with professional spin doctors (I understand it comes with a high salary, too!) who work with politicians, corporate executives, and other disreputable types. By twisting words they're warping the language that exists...and language is the glue that binds a culture together. To me that's far closer to "treason" than say sharing embarrassing info with wikileaks. This commercial is nothing, but what's described here (and still ongoing) is a serious problem that subverts informed electorates (and thus democracy) as well as allowing all sorts of abuses to go on:

The New Doublespeak

'Course the people who do this typically have the media on their side (at least turning a blind eye to it) as it would hurt them if they didn't, so it's not going to get a lot of attention and will instead become an instrument of spreading doublespeak.

The ad absolutely enrages me....

Not because of the language thing (whatever) but because it's a fucking advertisement... for fizzy sugar water. Why give a fuck about ads? They're not sincere, they're not art, they don't have a message... it's trash designed to get people subconciously thinking about some dumb overpriced, unnecessary crap.

CellarDweller Wrote:*taken from an internet site*

(I’m waiting in line behind a woman speaking on her cellphone in another language. Ahead of her is a white man. After the woman hangs up, he speaks up.)

Man: “I didn’t want to say anything while you were on the phone, but you’re in America now. You need to speak English.”

Woman: “Excuse me?”

Man: *very slow* “If you want to speak Mexican, go back to Mexico. In America, we speak English.”

Woman: “Sir, I was speaking Navajo. If you want to speak English, go back to England.”

Touche' mon capitan, touche'!!!!
Wink