Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The haters (for Frank's information)
You said in a thread started by Enigma (and to answer a certain Monkeyman) that you were not a misogynist.
One of your questions was whether there was a word for someone who hates men. Well there is and that is a misanthrope or misanthropist... Mis is the Greek root for dislike I believe and anthropos means man (hence anthropology, the science and study of human beings) but it generally applies to people who hate other people, be they men or women... but the root of the word definitely means "hater of men".

misanthrope or misanthropist
noun
1 someone who has an irrational hatred or distrust of people in general.
2 someone whose hatred or distrust of people is so strong that they avoid all human contact.
misanthropic adj
misanthropically adverb.
misanthropy noun.
[16c: from Greek misos hatred + anthropos man.]

also for your information about the root of misogyny:
misogyny
noun hatred of women. Compare misanthropy under misanthrope.
misogynist noun someone who hates women.
misogynous adj.
[17c: from Greek misogynes, from misos hatred + gyne woman.]

thanks for that PA.

I do believe that misogyny is used by men against women pretty commonly but I thought misanthrope was used more for people in general and not specifically for males.

I guess it depends on the crowds one hangs with.

thanks again,
frank

You're right, Frank, it does mean HE or SHE who dislikes PEOPLE, but the root of the word is about "andros" ie "man" as opposed to "Gyneka" ie "woman". I think Spotysocks can corroborate. Maybe for those who invented the words MISOGYNY and MISANTHROPY, there wasn't such a thing as hating MALES, only the tendency to mistreat FEMALES... A sexist society?

That last part about "a sexist society" is what I am getting at. I am just curious why a word hasnt become more common for women who hate men (I know they are out there)... still a mans world = yeah!