Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The origen of apples
[SIZE="4"]We take the apple for granted but how many of us know where it originated?

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-l...e-forests?[/SIZE]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

A complementary video:

Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I remember when I was in my teens making cider from apples grown in the orchard. It was powerful stuff! I remember the corks popping out like shotguns in the middle of the night as the yeast took effect.

LONDONER Wrote:I remember when I was in my teens making cider from apples grown in the orchard. It was powerful stuff! I remember the corks popping out like shotguns in the middle of the night as the yeast took effect.
Cool!

I am reminded of something I once heard.
That champagne bottles exploding, or their corks randomly firing used to be a frequent occurrence. Sometimes with fatal consequences.
Hmm, I wonder how much truth there is to that.
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:Cool!

I am reminded of something I once heard.
That champagne bottles exploding, or their corks randomly firing used to be a frequent occurrence. Sometimes with fatal consequences.
Hmm, I wonder how much truth there is to that.

Quite probably true. Not many people know that champagne was invented not by the French but by the British. Initially the French did not have the technology to make bottles strong enough. It was the British who imported wine from France (presumably in barrels) who invented the technique and thus champagne was born and of course continued by the French.

And while we are at it, it was a certain blind French monk who perfected the corking of champagne bottles, thus allowing the capture of the bubbles. On tasting the result, he said, "O come quickly. I'm drinking stars." His name was Dom Perignon.

By the way, Londoner, the word is origin. Origen was an early Christian philosopher.

Does anyone know the way to a good Grimes Golden?
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:By the way, Londoner, the word is origin. Origen was an early Christian philosopher.

I stand corrected. It's not often I make mistakes like that.