Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The train switch dilemma
The following is a hypothetical situation. If you want to participate, please explain what you would do and why.

- - - -

You are in a tower at a rail yard where you can control one switch. A train is approaching the fork in the tracks with that switch. (You cannot leave the tower or call anyone until the train passes.)

On one track, a person is tied to the rails. The other track is damaged. If you do nothing, the train will continue onto the damaged track and derail. Many of the passengers and crew will be killed as a result. If you switch the train onto the other track, it will pass safely onto its destination, but it will kill the person tied to the tracks.

It's your decision . . .

I don't think I would realise derailing the train would cause deaths. In fact I don't think it would, unless it goes over a cliff or something. So, not knowing about the deaths it would cause, I would definately derail the train.

If I somehow knew derailing it would kill more than 1 person, I would choose to let the unfortunate individual tied to the tracks be run over. Sliced into bits. Cut up and ready for cooking.

Ewwww, pass me the remote. Laugh
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

OK with myself being a train geek, I need more info such as how fast is the train going, is it a modern or vintage locomotive and what type of passenger cars, where and what does the switched siding lead to? With you being in Sunnyvale, would this be Caltrain or Amtrak California?
See I warned you I was a train geek!!!

A lot of people from the SF bay area here. Hello Smile

Cuddly Wrote:I don't think I would realise derailing the train would cause deaths. In fact I don't think it would, unless it goes over a cliff or something. So, not knowing about the deaths it would cause, I would definately derail the train.

If I somehow knew derailing it would kill more than 1 person, I would choose to let the unfortunate individual tied to the tracks be run over. Sliced into bits. Cut up and ready for cooking.

Most derailments of passenger trains result in multiple deaths, I believe.

So you'd be willing to murder the person on the tracks to save other lives, hm?

I'd do nothing. Lesser of two evils.

davearoo Wrote:Most derailments of passenger trains result in multiple deaths, I believe.

So you'd be willing to murder the person on the tracks to save other lives, hm?

One life < Several lives

But yes, I think I would. In reality I'd probably be stunned, unable to act, and just watch in horror as the events unfold.

I'd send a message to the train operater and tell him to hit the brakes. Because that's what my job would entail.

Third option go.

I don't understand the dilemma?

A. You get to kill only one person.
B. You get to kill lots of people.