Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There are queens and Queens
I am currently listening to the service to commemorate Queen Elizabeth II's coronation and installation on the throne, some 60 years ago.
I still own a copy of a magazine that was issued at that occasion and that my mother always kept. Listening to the church assembly singing "God Save the Queen" I remark to myself that the British (some of them) really look up to this woman, even though she has virtually no political power. Queen Elizabeth is also the spiritual leader of the Church of England, and as such is also the highest person in the hierarchy of this church. It seems strange to me that this seems to go against the Christian idea that persons should not be idolised. Not that it's any different from idolising a pop band, or singer or actor, of course.
What do you guys and gals think of this?
[Image: _39101410_wave_238.jpg]
How do we feel about royalty and the fact that they are supposedly elected to reign by a higher divine power?

I think the monarchy play an important constitutional role that would be a major headache to reform for little benefit. At least people no longer attribute magical abilities to the royals, it was still a common practice in the early eighteenth century to petition for the royal touch to cure disease, Samuel Johnson famously was touched as a baby by Queen Anne to cure him of scrofula (it didn't work and he had to undergo surgery).

Canadian monarchists are a strange breed I don't pretend to understand. You can't say a bad word about the Queen near my mother.

Another photo... it dates a bit now.
[Image: 11077061.jpg]

hello princess

Not just monarchs. Some church's hold their priests to such high regard that you'd be judged for speaking against them.

I've always been a fan of the royals. I think keeping some traditions is a good thing.

Most people do like THE Queen.
No, they have no actual "power", but their words do hold a lot of significance. I mean, really, NOBODY wants to be "blackballed" from turning down the Queen!!

The only troubles she has really had in life, was butting heads with Princess Diana, and that fiasco where she refused to give a speech after her death, or shed a tear on tv. I remember when they did talk her into making a short speech about her death, it was so "robotic", I lost my respect for her then.

I still think she's awesome. I think women in certain places of power are a good thing. They have a heavy load to deal with, balancing the gender act with all the other countries run by men. I love Thatcher just because she had some BIG BRASS BALLS on her!!

I have respect for her position, and for what she does, but I lost respect for her as a person after Princess Diana's death.

Ohh, prince, you reminded me of this: