Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is not going to end well.
Bob, my landlord fell twice this week. Tuesday afternoon and today this afternoon.

A little bruised, nothing major.

Visiting nurse came by today, fortunately within minutes of Bob falling, and after the usual check up he had me walk him to his car and he told me that the 'patient is declining'... Amongst other things He told me to expect Bob's health to worsen from here on out. Rolleyes

Of course I already knew this - I have been in similar position(s) before with tending the elderly... but hope springs eternal and all of that crap.

Anyway (here comes a rant) - I am getting the short end of the stick. His relatives are chomping at the bit for the old man to die, and then they are going to sell the property right out. The house itself needs tens of thousands in repairs - perhaps even over 100K... So they are not going to try to sell the house, but they will make a tidy profit from the land.

They so wanted to send him to nursing home after the last hospital stay. The Son-In-Law is the power of attorney. These bastards have only been out twice in the 16 years I have been here, neither of them work (they are retired) so they can get their fat lazy asses into their car or into a plane and come out and tend to the old guy. But nooooo - they want to ship him off to a home and sell all of his assets. Greedy bastards.

I suspect I will be reporting I am homeless in a month or so - maybe a bit longer. While I believe I got about 6 months after Bob shuffles off this mortal coil with the property values being through the floor... I am not going to hold my breath.

Thing is I am not being paid extra to be a forklift or a babysitter. Since Bob is being stubborn and waiting until I leave to do my stuff before he decides to get up and dance or whatever it is he wants to do and ends up falling.

And the man is obese... He must weight at least 230#... I'm under 160# and can't lift him. So I would rather he doesn't fall - far easier to prevent him from hitting the ground that trying to get his fat ass off the floor.

So which one of you can I move in with on short notice? Just remember, love me love my dog.... She is elderly (17, over 5 years past expiration date) so basically I have a geriatrics ward here in Mirkwood.

More seriously - I do not know what to do for myself. I have absolutely no time to make any plans, nor do I know where 'reasonable loyalty' ends and when I should become a rat and abandon ship.

I know that when the old man dies there is nothing coming my way except and eviction notice. Regardless how many long years I have put up the old man and his 'foibles'.... :eek:

Well it back over to his house... Bet he is finished with dinner and is ready to break dance again in the middle of the floor or something.

Sorry to hear that. :frown:

I worked with a landlord once, and though he jerked me around I figured it was still a good deal overall, and instead of hassling him to fix the place as it needed to I took to fixing it up myself (getting help from friends when I needed it, and I know how to use a library). A lot of it was juryrigged, and a lot of it was more cosmetic than actual, but it was an improvement. And he "rewarded" me by trying to sell it out from under me, and I learned the ONLY reason he rented it as he did was because he'd been unable to sell it (I found that out after he offered to sell it to me and a friend got a professional inspector tell me all that was wrong with it and it would be impossible to get a bank loan for it, and found a lot of things I shrugged off as annoying--from frequent computer problems to like when an appliance started to melt--was from the atrocious wiring that was potentially life threatening, and the bastard KNEW without telling us! When I told him what the inspector said he admitted he knew all that and that's why he hadn't sold it before, but my improvements might've made it so he could get away selling it "as is," and when I refused to buy he tried to raise my rent due to the "improvements," though he backed down when I threatened to see if the "improvements" might change what he owed in property taxes). And just as he'd lied to us he had realtors lie to prospective buyers, and I mean huge whoppers that I just couldn't let slide by. The first time I got bawled out, the 2nd I got my minimum notice to get out.

And the reason? He lived well beyond his means and just bought a home he couldn't afford so he needed to sell the one he was renting to me, and wanted me to put myself into debt just as he did so he could have things he didn't need (I expect it was a similar reason for the realtors involved just as ignoble). Luckily, some good deeds managed to actually generate good karma for me...barely. But he didn't give a damn about anything but his greed. I'm glad to say the last time I checked (about a year after I got evicted) his home was still on the market, apparently people still weren't being suckered even without me there to let them know they were being lied to.

That aside, what really gets me is the callousness for the elderly so many have, especially family. My mom and dad were actually pretty crappy to me but I'd never put them in an old folks home, especially not to just sell what they have off (even though I'd know they'd do it to me if they had the chance), especially not after seeing what they can be like and learning of other horrid abuses in them (in addition to the callousness of it). When I was a teen I even joined other teens who "adopted" old people at one home...a kid had seen how terrible the elderly who didn't get visitors were treated (left to rot, basically) and got us to help by pretending to be visitors and the pathetically grateful elderly went along with it because it meant they got treated with a bit of dignity and some protection from abuse. (Btw, many of us were thought to be devil worshipers, while the old folks home had plenty of pix of Jesus and the like around, granted, that may have been just to inspire trust or some other psy op there in the Bible Belt, you know so they'd think "good Christians would never do that" or some such).

That, btw, is why I tend to roll my eyes when I hear how shallow and selfish kids are, as if adults were somehow better. Heck, the kids got an excuse and there's hope they'll change...not so much for the many, many adults at least as bad as the kids they complain about. Really, even if most kids are shallow and selfish, then the adults who complain about it shouldn't complain, they should be proud their kids are turning out to be just like them, living up to their ignoble example.

That super sucks, boss!

Any chance you can get him to sign a contract with you? I don't know how much weight it holds legally, but I've been in a position before where I had a great condo in a great part of town that I was renting for below half the market value...because it'd been paid for, the owner was off-site, and had no idea the value of the condo.

That said, midway through my lease, the owner decided to sell the condo. Thing is, I wasn't kicked out, they just didn't renew the lease because they were going to do some major upgrades...which was less than optimal, but I understood. SO, I'm curious if they were just being kind, or if the new owners HAD to oblige by my current lease. It might be worth doing some research into and if that's the case - sign a long-term lease. Or, if Bob isn't concerned about the property, at all, maybe he'd be willing to sell it to you lease-to-own at the current amount of your rent for the long term.

Just some ideas that may be worth looking into.

Best of luck!

I'm tired again. Still.

As someone else pointed out, I am buying food for a millionaire.... Rolleyes

Yeah... so, um... is that someone taking advantage of a good heart, or am I just plain stupid???

Shame on me I guess.....

It seems as if your loyalty is not being reciprocated and you are being taken advantage of, if you get the opportunity to move out before the ship has sunk, take it. No one job is indispensable, he has family who have power-of-attorney who seem quite happy for you to bare all the responsibility and then quite happily evict you when no longer needed. Time to look for another forest to call home.

Bow, you've been a saint for the way you've taken care of him. You have to look after yourself too though. I understand not wanting to abandon him but you have to make sure you have options after he goes.

You're a good man with a good heart, don't forget that you need to have yourself in your heart too.

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I second others thoughts that you should be looking for a new place immediatly, please do not wait till last minute or until he drops down

I dont know what else to say as im not in any position to help you, i cant put a roof over your head as thats a very real problem. But i do hope something will come up.

^^^ I got me prolly packed, and as soon as the wind changes direction expect me to be landing on your doorstep - regular Mary Poppins I am gov'nr.... LOL

Yeah - watch out for myself.... That's kind of hard to do - what little time I have left to do anything for myself is what I spend here.

I guess I could stop coming here those couple hours and start looking at the want ads. Whadda you think, Maybe Butler this time around? Of course I'm not sure exactly what butling is but I'm positive it ain't that hard to buttle...

Wink

I know its not "you" to do this, but you need to talk to him. Tell him once his kids put him in a nursing home, they will be selling the land and evicting you....and you dont have anywhere to go or the money to get another place. And since YOU have been his only saving grace, would he please be so kind as to help you out in a monitary way so you dont have to live in the street?

Or at the very least, have you stipulated in his Will.

I would say, come stay with me, but I have a DINKY apartment and the pet deposit here equals a months rent....so thats why I dont have a cat right now. The "living room" is my storage area. What little I have left in life, is stored in there. Everything else is in my bedroom.

I dont know anyone with any extra room. My friend Brian just had to let his brother move in with him, because he got evicted from his apartment. I dont know anyone with a big house, except my sister.
She lives in Southern Louisiana.....She also lives out in the boonies, so finding a job would be a long trek.

Where is Mirkwood??? I looked on Mapquest, and all I got was some at home company called Mirkwood in CA.

I got my brain in overdrive, trying to come up with something for you, but I am coming up empty.

The only idea I have right now, is go to some real estate agencies and see if they know of any people or companies that have "abandoned" or "empty" houses you can live in for free, as long as you keep the place up and pay for repairs/utilities. Ive heard of this a few years ago, but thats all I know about it. And with all the abandoned properties out there, who knows?

Only other thing that comes to mind is find a cheap ass room for rent and then put your stuff in storage.
Would you mind a drag queen for a roomie???? I can email RuPaul and see if he/she can help out with any info.

Keeping my fingers, eyes, toes, arms, and legs crossed!!!

Thanks Mr. T.

I appreciate the effort. This is just something I need to muddle through.

While the old man is a millionaire, I assure you he didn't get those millions by spending a dime more than absolutely necessary.

On the bright side, he did give Dan $5.00 this week to cover the cost of gasoline for all of those pharmacy trips and the three doctor trips. Dan doesn't know what he will do with all the left over money. Rolleyes And Dan had to say over a dozen times 'Boy, I sure used a lot of gas' and 'I don't think I have enough gas to make it to the pharmacy and back.'

Mind the money thing with the old man has been a constant thorn in my side for 16 years. Most of that time i thought he was a pensioner living hand to mouth, so I have paid out of my own pocket for tools, lawn seed, fertilizer, cinder block, plaster (to redo one of the exterior walls) and lots of other nickle and dime stuff over the years.

You could have knocked me over with a feather last year when his Daughter and her husband came out to guarantee their hands on his money and the son-in-law stated a single digit number followed by the word 'millions' to describe the old mans net worth.

Of course bob dresses like he is poor, most of his clothes he wears needs a bit of mending or a patch or something. He waited 10 years before getting the roof replaced, even though it was leaking bad. The retaining wall at the front of the carport is railroad ties which have rotted through - the dirt has been sliding into the carport and he still refuses to spend the $300.00 for retaining wall brick I asked for oh, 5 years ago....

If he survives until April/May of next year my Social Security Disability should be approved - going before the Judge, the automatic denial process. I will then have money to do something with.

I'll just have to look in craiglist or something and start looking for similar situations as a property caretaker with rent included as the 'wage' or something. If I get a job now and start earning a real income, well that just ends the whole SSD/SSI process. The bastards.