Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Hitzlsperger comes out as being gay
This may shed some light if people are interested.

^^^^ It's actually a really good watch.

Quote:Whilst news of another public figure openly announcing he’s gay is a stride towards tackling homophobia in football, stigma continues to inject fear into those wanting to ‘come-out’ whilst still playing the game. “We still have a long way to go” Hitzlsperger told BBC Radio 4, “because we fear a reaction and we don’t know what will happen”.

Attitudes must change

I find it remarkable that in this day and age, this remains topical news. We’ve come a long way since 1990, when the first British footballer, Justin Fashanu, faced abuse for his sexuality, but it would be ridiculous to claim the issue is cured. Only yesterday PSG’s Alex, narrow-mindedly commented on homosexuality, saying ‘God would’ve created not Adam and Eve but Adam and Yves’. Alex has the power and presence to impact and improve the publics’ opinion, but instead he’s adding fuel to the fire for those individuals that Hitzlsperger was afraid of throughout his own career. No wonder the likes of Hitzlsperger and Robbie Rogers came out after retiring for fear of a backlash during their career.

I’d like to think Alex’s comments were isolated to himself, but based on my experiences, do I think there’d be an issue in the changing room if a player came out? I’d like to think not. I get that’s not an objective answer, it’s only from my experience. But I’m confident that my teammates would judge a player purely on his field ability, his skill and his character. A player’s sexuality doesn’t affect the way we work as a team, so it shouldn’t and needn’t come into question.

How would fans react?

I am however, sure that a club would reconsider signing a player on learning his sexuality. I say this because of the potential discrimination that player may face. Of course there’s no certainty a player would experience homophobia, purely, as Hitzlsperger pointed out, “we haven’t seen a gay footballer in the Premier League or the Bundesliga…we would have to wait and see”. The sad truth is, until a current player comes out, we can’t comprehend the size of the issue. In the UK, I’d perhaps envisage some aggressive fans on occasion, but more likely would be the method of Twitter abuse. Cowards tend to hide behind their phones and laptops, believe me, I’ve been on the receiving end enough!

We need to join forces

I remain optimistic, and don’t think we’re a million miles from creating a positive football culture, accepting of all diversity. The stigma attached to the game is present, but not unstoppable. Individuals like Hitzlsperger, Rogers and Tom Daley have faced the issue head on and provide light for those having to live in fear, which in today’s society is f*cked up.

It’s all well and good speaking about an idyllic culture, but how can we get it? The way I see it is simple; you’re not only responsible for what you say but what you don’t say. People with social impact need to speak up. I felt encouraged as I saw awareness raised during the Rainbow Laces campaign , but that was just one event. What we need is to make that awareness grow until homosexuality is accepted, by football and each person involved in it.

This subject will always remain a huge talking point, so let’s hear your thoughts.

http://www.joeybarton.com/society-needs-...otballers/

Joey Barton's view, that's always fun

Thank you Rawr. I saw the whole documetary some time ago on TV but it's interesting to review it in the light of present circumstances.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

This is quite an eye opening account from one of the UK's top footballers - who is not gay, but has been subjected to homophobic abuse both on and off the pitch.

Please read the article in full.

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.com/200...my-career/

This is why I continue to support professional sportsmen and women who come out. This is why its important that public figures, who are comfortable in coming out need to take a stand and become roll models for others.

I know a lot of people on here have made it clear that they are unsupportive of such public announcements of their sexuality. Each to their own. I for one am supportive.

ObW
X

I had a look at the page you posted and it came up with a beautiful but completely different story, Londoner.... one about soap bubbles and frost.... Interesting and beautifully creative, though.
http://distractify.com/culture/arts/froz...intertime/

OlderButWiser Wrote:This is quite an eye opening account from one of the UK's top footballers - who is not gay, but has been subjected to homophobic abuse both on and off the pitch.

Please read the article in full.

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.com/200...my-career/

This is why I continue to support professional sportsmen and women who come out. This is why its important that public figures, who are comfortable in coming out need to take a stand and become roll models for others.

I know a lot of people on here have made it clear that they are unsupportive of such public announcements of their sexuality. Each to their own. I for one am supportive.

ObW
X

Agree with you totally, ObW, but the word is ROLE model... You wouldn't want them to roll away with their Rolls Royce, only.... now, would you?

This is a case where Martin Luther King's speech needs to go even deeper than the surface he proclaimed to be the only way people judge the other. This time it's the "content of character" itself, not the skin colour, that becomes the object of hatred and derision. So, to deal with that kind of hate, education needs to happen and people need to understand that being gay is not a threat to other people's well being, or even morals.

[quote=Rawr]This may shed some light if people are interested.

QUOTE]*
Thanks, Rawr. I actually wrote to Miss Fashanu but she didn't get back to me. At least, I don't think so, not immediately. I tried to shed some light on what made her uncle commit suicide all these years ago. She's of a younger generation and didn't fully understand the sorts of pressure that a man like Justin must have gone through, notwithstanding the amount of self-loathing that he must have experienced.

dfiant1 Wrote:what would be inspirational is someone that stopped denying their sexuality because 'its tough in that industry' and grow a vagina and stand proudly as a gay man or woman rather than wait till the end of their career and their fame is dwindling only to find notoriety as the gay Ex 'insert sport'sman here'

It is what all those guys who in the 70's and 80 risked their lives for....these miserable cunts are risking what exactly by coming out??? Fame??? fortune...sorry, they made the wrong decision to stay in the closet to protect material wealth and that is definately not a message I would like to be sent to our youth.
Sometimes, I wonder, Daz, if you would advise a scared young man to stay put and keep safe or to come out and face all kinds of adversities? A lot of young men will be embracing football very young, probably before they even realise they have gay leanings. By the time they become football professionals, they are still quite young and presumably so exposed that any change can be quite life threatening, not only financially but emotionally and physically. Is is so unreasonable to remain in the closet and not become ostracised, knowing the levels (perceived or real) of homophobia in the sport. While growing a pair of real balls might seem a good thing, not everyone has grown and matured enough to abandon all hope of being supported by their own.
Football has a strong culture of support and supporters... How can you give it all up so easily? I honestly don't think it's the money they think of first (of course, it must be part of the equation) but I'm sure it's as hard an emotional and mental decision as, say, deciding which of your two children you're going to have killed by the enemy, if you have the choice to save one. ( Sophie's Choice). The higher up you are, the harder the decision, because there's too much vested interest. Plus, I'm sure some of them (they aren't necessarily very bright) probably wonder how their being gay will reflect on the whole business and their team.
It's a shame that footballers can't, like rugby, be more relaxed and cool about it. It ought to be a no brainer. I'm glad Tom Daley said he was in a relationship with a man at the age of nineteen. (note that he didn't say he was "gay"). It means society has moved on, but, to be fair, the social circumstances are different : we can now get married, and before that civil partnerships existed.... The whole of society has shifted greatly since 2005. Some people were not so lucky to experience their professional lives in better climes.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Sorry...........that should have been...........

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIcX4DBYhPNn307Ibd6PQ...X4y734T74Q]
On a personal level, you're right Mr T.... Who cares? Who should care? His lover(s) only. His parents, maybe, his family who'll have to deal with the partner.... (?) His sexuality should remain a private matter.

Depending on his level of popularity and the clout he may have with German football supporters or football supporters internationally, it may, however, make a difference. Will it make them think that it's possible to be gay (openly or not) and still be a good footballer? I hope so. Will it make them understand that gay slurs and humiliations are absolutely abject and degrading and wrong? I hope so too. Why would we wish any man to have to continue being belittled by his team or adversaries because of his sexual orientation when it has no bearing on how well he tackles an opponent and kicks a ball, or how much he scores?

I remember how we all felt when Obama came out to the public saying it was time gays were treated equally as far as getting the right to be married. The president of the United States is not gay (as far as we know), and therefore has no other vested interest than getting re-elected. His making this point could influence other people to think about what it means to be in a stigmatised group and can put things right. Thinking that no one cares whether a famous footballer comes out or not, especially when it's no longer the money that's important, is like saying the battle's won and there is no more stigma in being gay. We surely need to wake up and smell the coffee, as they say. There is probably just as much pressure in coming out at last as there has been for them to continue scoring for their teams if they've had a high professional profile. Risk is not all it's cranked up to be.