Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Hitzlsperger comes out as being gay
princealbertofb Wrote:I had a look at the page you posted and it came up with a beautiful but completely different story, Londoner.... one about soap bubbles and frost.... Interesting and beautifully creative, though.
http://distractify.com/culture/arts/froz...intertime/

Oops, I have absolutely no idea how that happened. I think that the link I originallyt gave ws from the Daily Telegraph. I can't find it now but here's a link from The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014...homosexual
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

princealbertofb Wrote:Sometimes, I wonder, Daz, if you would advise a scared young man to stay put and keep safe or to come out and face all kinds of adversities? A lot of young men will be embracing football very young, probably before they even realise they have gay leanings. By the time they become football professionals, they are still quite young and presumably so exposed that any change can be quite life threatening, not only financially but emotionally and physically. Is is so unreasonable to remain in the closet and not become ostracised, knowing the levels (perceived or real) of homophobia in the sport. While growing a pair of real balls might seem a good thing, not everyone has grown and matured enough to abandon all hope of being supported by their own.
Football has a strong culture of support and supporters... How can you give it all up so easily? I honestly don't think it's the money they think of first (of course, it must be part of the equation) but I'm sure it's as hard an emotional and mental decision as, say, deciding which of your two children you're going to have killed by the enemy, if you have the choice to save one. ( Sophie's Choice). The higher up you are, the harder the decision, because there's too much vested interest. Plus, I'm sure some of them (they aren't necessarily very bright) probably wonder how their being gay will reflect on the whole business and their team.
It's a shame that footballers can't, like rugby, be more relaxed and cool about it. It ought to be a no brainer. I'm glad Tom Daley said he was in a relationship with a man at the age of nineteen. (note that he didn't say he was "gay"). It means society has moved on, but, to be fair, the social circumstances are different : we can now get married, and before that civil partnerships existed.... The whole of society has shifted greatly since 2005. Some people were not so lucky to experience their professional lives in better climes.

I'm sorry...I don't see the appropriate role models being the people that deny who they are in the persuit of money...somethings are bigger than money. Ian Roberts came out while he was at the peak of his rugby league career in the 1990's, and international footballer so his influence reached beyond Australia's borders...did it hurt his career...probably, did he do the right thing....the guy is a fucking hero in my books Wink

Jim Parson's is a role model. He has never denied nor affirmed his sexuality.

It is ADMIRABLE that these people come out, but they are not the sort of role models our youth need at this point in time. Our youth need to know that there are things more important than the persuit of wealth...and that is happiness.

LONDONER Wrote:You only have to read the article to find out who he is.
I clicked on the link and this is what came up.

"This Mom And Her Son Tried a Crazy Experiment On A Cold Day. The Result Will Absolutely Blow Your Mind. Woah."

There were pictures of bubbles that froze before they popped it es beautiful and I had to look at it. But I saw nothing about a football player.

Is this thread still going… about hitzlesplergerberger.

hank Wrote:I clicked on the link and this is what came up.

"This Mom And Her Son Tried a Crazy Experiment On A Cold Day. The Result Will Absolutely Blow Your Mind. Woah."

There were pictures of bubbles that froze before they popped it es beautiful and I had to look at it. But I saw nothing about a football player.

See my post number 31
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:See my post number 31

You should check to that one I saw it was it's really cool

hank Wrote:You should check to that one I saw it was it's really cool

That was on a previous thread of londoners i believe, it is cool.

dfiant1 Wrote:I'm sorry...I don't see the appropriate role models being the people that deny who they are in the persuit of money...somethings are bigger than money. Ian Roberts came out while he was at the peak of his rugby league career in the 1990's, and international footballer so his influence reached beyond Australia's borders...did it hurt his career...probably, did he do the right thing....the guy is a fucking hero in my books Wink

Jim Parson's is a role model. He has never denied nor affirmed his sexuality.

It is ADMIRABLE that these people come out, but they are not the sort of role models our youth need at this point in time. Our youth need to know that there are things more important than the persuit of wealth...and that is happiness.
Maybe we shouldn't look to shortening the list of "heroes" and "role models" to only a few who've shown the biggest balls. The nature of today's news is that yesterday's news is old news, and we therefore need to update the list of heroes and role models constantly, so the issue can remain in the public eye. I think that's the purpose of adding an extra layer (be it 'unsuitable' in some people's eyes) to the issue. But maybe I'm wrong.
Other than that, I agree that the pursuit of money is not going to lead to a person's happiness, in my book.

OlderButWiser Wrote:This is quite an eye opening account from one of the UK's top footballers - who is not gay, but has been subjected to homophobic abuse both on and off the pitch.

Please read the article in full.

http://reflectionsasia.wordpress.com/200...my-career/

This is why I continue to support professional sportsmen and women who come out. This is why its important that public figures, who are comfortable in coming out need to take a stand and become roll models for others.

I know a lot of people on here have made it clear that they are unsupportive of such public announcements of their sexuality. Each to their own. I for one am supportive.

ObW
X

Thanks for that, OlderButWiser, an excellent article which tells it exactly how I see it. There is no excuse for bullying on the football field or elsewhere.

In that article it mentioned "the laddish drinking culture that was prevelant in english football in the 1980s"

Nothings changed… less homophobic than it was… but english football will always have laddish drinking culture.

Those footballers make too much money anyway… its ridiculous…

They have all those millions and then what they do… keep playing football.

Went off topic… sorry

Whats worse is when they talk about football for the cameras, in that monotone way (because they,ve been instructed how to behave)