Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three gay movies i saw recently
Brokeback Mountain, i dont like it either. maybe it is just because i was too young when i saw it.

I don't think it is an age thing because I was 40 something when I saw it. I do applaud Ang Lee for making the movie but the character of Ennis annoyed and bored me to death. I am not sympathetic to someone who lets their fear rule them at whatever cost. Life is short. Had he ovecome his fear I might have cheered a bit and/or at least stayed awake.

You're not alone guys when it comes to your comments about Brokeback Mountain.
That movie sucked - and not in a good way, hee hee.

When you get a chance, try watching a movie by the Gay writer/producer/director Casper Andreas. His films are top notch all the way.

DJ

I loved Brokeback Mountain I still think it is a fantastic film. EofE, of course if Ennis had overcome his fear things would have worked out better for him, but that's the point the film is a tragedy (in the original dramatic meaning of the word).
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Has anyone watched Comme les autres? It's a French movie but it has English subtitle.

It's a story about 1 gay man in middle age who desperately wants to adopt a child. So he made a deal with an Argentine girl who is struggling with a pass to immigrate into France. They will marry, the girl get citizenship and he gets the baby. The ending is very moving and emotional.

Best of all, Lambert Wilson is way so sexy. Winknudge

fredv3b Wrote:I loved Brokeback Mountain I still think it is a fantastic film. EofE, of course if Ennis had overcome his fear things would have worked out better for him, but that's the point the film is a tragedy (in the original dramatic meaning of the word).

I think the film itself is beautiful but the story was just uninteresting to me...I had watched another gay film entitled RED DIRT that told a similar story that engaged me much more than BBM. I couldn't get beyond Ennis's character and the flashbacks didn't really make me sympathetic to the character as he never stood up and fought back...something I have a distaste for in general. I found nothing about him like able and so I became uninterested in the film because of that....I will say the cinematography was gorgeous and I can't disagree that it was a tragedy and it is what it is (and perhaps true to life for many people present and past)...

Brokeback Mountain ... read the story. You can get through it in the same time as it would take to watch the film.

If I only liked films with characters I liked, I would like very few films.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I think BBM is telling a specific story, and I think it does it well. I grew up in and, after some time away, moved back to Wyoming, where the story is set. I saw the movie for the first time in San Francisco, the gay mecca of the western hemisphere. Seeing it in SF, made me particularly aware of the audience and the audience's reaction. And I think the character of Ennis Del Mar is very accurately created both by Anny Proulx, Ang Lee, and, of course, Heath Ledger. I think what most people have cited as their concern with the character reflects cultural and temporal differences. When you are dealing with rural cowboy culture (a culture of hyper-masculinity) during the 60's, 70's, and early 80's, you can't really expect the character to not face a Butlerian Vertigo when it comes to his sexuality. Remember, a fair share of the movie takes place before the Stonewall Riots and they are very far away from Chelsea in the movie.

The gay movies I miss the most are the comedies like, "Jeffrey", "Priscilla, Queen of the Dessert", and "To Wong Fu". I miss the wit and camp. Gay comedies seem to have taken a nose dive in the last few years. Now they are all about sex and shock. And I am so sick of the gimmicky shock for the sake of shock these days. It seems we have sacrificed true talent (at least among the writers) for it.

eastofeden Wrote:I think I have watched every gay film from Netflix in the past 10 years but have only added a few to my personal collection..

My favorite is Torch Song Trilogy **sniff sniff**

I also loved It's My Party **another sniff sniff**

Other favorites are The Birdcage, Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss, The Banquet, Saving Face (LOVED THIS ONE)...but the hottest gay scene I ever saw was with ANTONIO BANDERAS in a Spanish Gay Movie...does anyone know the title because I would love to buy it.

I didn't like Brokeback Mountain at all...I fell asleep 3-4 times...bored me to tears.

The film by Almodovar to which you are referring East of Eden is LA LEY DEL DESEO (the law (s) of desire). I thought it was very very hot too, indeed;... so so sexy.