Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips to help out anyone trying to get/stay fit and healthy. The natural way.
EDIT: I'm not an expert on health or food, in fact I worked in Maccas for a year LOL! I just wish someone had told me this a few years ago when I THOUGHT i was eating healthy. I feel as if I'm the healthiest Ive ever been right now and want to share it. I've read so many different books and health magazines and even health forums, and found so many health tips to be myths or incorrect that it just boggles the mind. Health is a really simple thing to acheive. The PERFECT diet would be all natural and all raw foods. Seeing as following a diet like that would drive anyone crazy I dont do it. But I still have a very healthy diet. This thread is for anyone who wants to look and feel healthy.

Sup. Thought I'd post my experience with food and keeping fit. I know a lot of people who go on "diets" and I find it sad. Food is a wonderful thing and should be enjoyed. Anyway diets may (or not) help you lose weight, but they wont make you look, feel or BE healthy. Eating whole and natural foods will. As I've changed my eating habits I have noticed I look better and feel better, and I can eat as much as I want. As long as I keep my main meals healthy I can even eat a bunch of mars bars or whatever during the day, and still stay mega lean.

Basically what I've learnt from being very interested in food and health over the past 6 years is this: generally if it grows in the ground its good for you. The less mankind messes with it the better. Simple huh?

Throughout the day I normally eat the following or a variation of it:

Creamy oats with maduka honey for breakfast with a berry shake. (ultimate health shake: see below for recipe - if you ONLY add this to your daily routine your health will improve dramatically).

mixed UNSALTED and UNROASTED nuts and seeds with 70% cocoa dark chocolate crumbled into it for snacks. The nuts (and this applies to everything) should be organic if you can find/afford them.

Brown rice and smoked tuna with a FULL EGG mayonaise for lunch 1

Tuna on a mixed salad with feta cheese, olives, bacon, avocado and rosemary olive oil dressing for lunch 2. (I eat two lunches).

Fruit for snacks normally, or pie lol, whatever.

Out of choice ALL i drink is water, all day, to be honest It's all I ever feel like. You should be drinking 2 liters minumum each day. Soft drinks, energy drinks and coffee will destroy you. Of course do what you have to to be happy, but dont over do it.

Whatever you want for dinner (assuming its not take away or steak and chips etc), make the dinner the smallest meal of the day. I often have something like a home cooked pizza, with minimal cheese and maximum veggie, feta, olives etc. Tasty.

I tend not to eat much meat, as its better for the enviroment and for your health.

This is basically what I eat most days but of course I mix it up all the time to keep things interesting. Since Ive stopped eating pre-packaged food Ive noticed my taste and smell has improved a lot. I can really taste salt now, and I can tell you pre-packaged food is JAM packed with it. Also its a good idea to take ONE vitamin and mineral supplement while eating your breakfast. I'd go with a good brand as some of the cheaper ones can overdose you with vitamin c and d lol (i think they have swisse in most countries? thats a fairly decent brand).

The life changing shake is all this in a blender:

Soy milk (or milk if u want) till it almost covers the blade.

30 mills of goji juice.

20 mills of organic flaxseed oil.

20 mills of a mineral drink if you can find one.

chopped up banana and strawberries.

As many frozen mixed berries as you can afford. (the more frozen berries the better the taste and texture).

Teaspoon of maduka honey.

THIS THING TASTES GREAT! The goji juice is packed full of antioxidents and other health benifits and the flaxseed will give you your daily dose of omega-3-6-9. The berries/banana will help you fill your daily requirement for servings of fruit.

Hope this thread helps someone. I know it doesnt seem like I'm telling you anything new by saying eat veggies and drink water etc, but a lot of people want to get fit and healthy and go about it the WRONG way with protein bars and low fat food. Its suprising to find that most people dont realise you NEED good fats to break down the BAD fats. Olive oil and nuts are both sources of good fats. And if you have any tasty and healthy recipes toss them my way. I'd love to try them.

Also might as well add these here too.

The best shampoo is NO shampoo. Try not shampooing for 6 weeks, it will get worse before it gets better, but once your body has restored the natural balance to your hair (oils etc) then your hair will look and feel better than ever before. My hairdress asked what product I use, I SAID NOTHING BITCH!

And if you use lip balm, try lucas papaw ointment.

Lucas' Papaw Ointment 200g Jar NEW - eBay, Homeopathic, Herbal Remedies, Nutrition, Natural Therapies, Beauty, Health. (end time 23-Nov-08 14:29:49 AEDST)

This stuff is natural, tastes and smells amazing, and wont cuase your lips to dry out as soon as you stop using it (like mainsteam balms).

Australia Wrote:Also might as well add these here too.

The best shampoo is NO shampoo. Try not shampooing for 6 weeks, it will get worse before it gets better, but once your body has restored the natural balance to your hair (oils etc) then your hair will look and feel better than ever before.

6 weeks [Image: stick-1.gif]

Australia Wrote:...The best shampoo is NO shampoo. Try not shampooing for 6 weeks, it will get worse before it gets better, but once your body has restored the natural balance to your hair (oils etc) then your hair will look and feel better than ever before. My hairdress asked what product I use, I SAID NOTHING BITCH!

Phil! Wrote:6 weeks [Image: stick-1.gif]
Phil! is far too young to know this, but several years ago there was a series of programmes on television about the body. One programme featured a woman with long, thick, curly hair and her special task was to go without washing her hair for a couple of months. This was a challenge for someone who normally washed it daily!

It went through stages which, if I remember correctly were:
  • greasy
  • itchy as hell
  • smells like a sheep
  • stops smelling awful
  • looks wonderful
By the end of the programme she was a convert to washing her hair just with water. My hair was similar in those days (thick, long and curly that is), but I could never summon up the courage to try the same thing. These days, it's all just a distant memory ... Rolleyes

marshlander Wrote:It went through stages which, if I remember correctly were:
  • greasy
  • itchy as hell
  • smells like a sheep
  • stops smelling awful
  • looks wonderful
By the end of the programme she was a convert to washing her hair just with water. My hair was similar in those days (thick, long and curly that is), but I could never summon up the courage to try the same thing. These days, it's all just a distant memory ... Rolleyes

Yeah thats spot on. Basically shampoo hasnt been around that long, and its really quite unnatural. Rubbing chemicals all over hair and rinsing it all over your face and skin = yuck! Know what product shampoos ingredients most have in common with? Industrial floor cleaner.

I sound like a hippy.

DONT DRINK THE WATER THERES FLUORIDE IN IT!

SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE !

Interesting guide, I think I'm getting a little close to a heart attack Roflmao.

Blood flow is absolutely crap, I think I shall be dead by the time I hit late 20's.

Phil! Wrote:6 weeks [Image: stick-1.gif]

Dont panic i wash my hair maybe once every four months but mind you i do shave it all off once a month so no reason really to wash it more than needing hehe

#1 all over haircuts for the win... no need for shampoo ever!! Just rinse and go! Big Grin

Although I do shampoo just coz I like the feel of it on my head.. especially the Mint Source stuff coz that makes my head get this tingling sensation!!

What would you make of this diet Australia (considering that I'm trying to bulk up to 200lb.. currently at 160lb).

Example for on a gym day...
Meal 1: Homemade shake: 500ml semi skimmed milk / 100g oats / 1 banana / 2 eggs / 2 scoops of whey protein
Meal 2: Protein flapjack
Meal 3: 300g Cottage Cheese / portion of Coco Pops / 100ml semi skimmed milk / 1 banana OR portion of muesli / large pot of yoghurt / 1 banana
Meal 4: Portion of lean meat or tuna / 1 apple / 1 kiwi fruit / oat, nut, raisin and honey bar / pack of crisps or choc bar (treat!)
Meal 5: Post Workout shake - either 500ml milk and an MRP powder or an RTD shake.
Meal 6: Dinner... Meat or fish / potatoes, pasta or rice / veg
Meal 7: 300g Cottage cheese and tablespoon of natural Peanut Butter OR homemade protein shake replacing the eggs with natural PB.

approx cals... 4000-4200

Water intake: 3-4 litres daily.

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:What would you make of this diet Australia (considering that I'm trying to bulk up to 200lb.. currently at 160lb).

Example for on a gym day...
Meal 1: Homemade shake: 500ml semi skimmed milk / 100g oats / 1 banana / 2 eggs / 2 scoops of whey protein
Meal 2: Protein flapjack
Meal 3: 300g Cottage Cheese / portion of Coco Pops / 100ml semi skimmed milk / 1 banana OR portion of muesli / large pot of yoghurt / 1 banana
Meal 4: Portion of lean meat or tuna / 1 apple / 1 kiwi fruit / oat, nut, raisin and honey bar / pack of crisps or choc bar (treat!)
Meal 5: Post Workout shake - either 500ml milk and an MRP powder or an RTD shake.
Meal 6: Dinner... Meat or fish / potatoes, pasta or rice / veg
Meal 7: 300g Cottage cheese and tablespoon of natural Peanut Butter OR homemade protein shake replacing the eggs with natural PB.

approx cals... 4000-4200

Water intake: 3-4 litres daily.
For bulking up thats a great diet. Reminds me of when I was trying to bulk up. When youre bulking up diet is less important because your body will basically ustilize almost anything you put in it, apart from sat fats. Your intake of suger/salt/carbs can all increase without much impact. Your plans really good.

Though it almost sounds as if your protein intake is exceeding what you would require, unless your a professional athelete. You read Mens Health magazine? I'm getting that vibe. Theyre actually a pretty good magazine.
Try having some dark leafy green salad with some of your meals(its high in plant based protein and when youre trying to bulk up the more different types of protein you can get the better). Also more berries and nuts. unroasted/unstaled nuts are high in protein and healthy fats and have HEAPS of other health benifits.

Just out of interest what kind of training you doing? I used to be a gym junkie.

zeon Wrote:Dont panic i wash my hair maybe once every four months but mind you i do shave it all off once a month so no reason really to wash it more than needing hehe

How long does it get in one month, Zeee?