Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Titanic..... Nearly 100 years on
Hello All,
Titanic portrayed as the greatest ship on earth back in 1912... This ship has somewhat fascinated me in life and wanting to study and understand it yet i dont know why i feel drawn and this year represents the 100th Anniversary of the titanic taking its only voyage a sadly fateful one...

I have been watching the documentary on ITV and found this weeks episode of the rich a bit angry... This is a documentary taken on a statements of those who lived to tell the tale... Whats your views on this?? I feel they should personally think about possibly raising it from the seabed and giving it a proper useage whether it be in a museum or a way to understand a little more about it...

I was told by my friend that they should leave it there as a mark of the dead however if that was the case why did they ressurect the Mary Rose??? This boat is shoved in Portsmouth - UK and everyday needs constant water sprayed onto it in order to prevent it from crumbling being around 500 years old...

Watching this documentary shows so many people didnt need to die young and could have lived into old age but the attitudes of people was completely wrong... A recent study into the sinking revealed that the fateful night caused a effect similar to a day with a heat wave except it was causing a blockage to the iceberg which wasnt seen until it was too late... I was saddenned also as an animal lover to learn that animals were drowned as they huddled in their cages... l know if i was to go abroad with my animals.... I would never allow them to spend a second in any cage...

Kindest regards

zeon x

Honestly Aunt, I can't wait to see it .
It is supposed to be here early next month.

I would love to see it raised ,if they can do it without further damage done to it.
I can't see how leaving it in it's watery grave is of any comfort to those left alive.

I think Titanic has corroded so badly that any attempt to raise it would cause it to simply fall into pieces and dust. Not to mention it split into two while sinking and only bow section is still recognizable (though partly collapsed), stern section was pretty much torn into shred by the air pockets and water pressure during the sinking.

What really was a shame is, that they didn't realize the historical value of the only survived sister Olympic back in 1930's and just scrapped it without hesitation. If only they had made it into museum/hotel like "Queen Mary", we could get authentic view of what life must been onboard Titanic - as they were almost identical.

zeon Wrote:I have been watching the documentary on ITV and found this weeks episode of the rich a bit angry... This is a documentary taken on a statements of those who lived to tell the tale... Whats your views on this?? I feel they should personally think about possibly raising it from the seabed and giving it a proper useage whether it be in a museum or a way to understand a little more about it...
I have seen several documentaries (probably not the one you have mentioned though), but I don't think it would be possible. I believe the salt water and water pressure have already caused too much damage, not only to the ship but also to the furniture etc. I don't think it could be lifted from the water (as a whole ship). But I can be wrong Smile
We will see what happens with Costa Concordia and how it will be difficult to bring it back to the shore.
zeon Wrote:Watching this documentary shows so many people didnt need to die young and could have lived into old age but the attitudes of people was completely wrong...
I am not sure what do you mean? I thought that the main problem was that there had been not enough lifeboats.
zeon Wrote:A recent study into the sinking revealed that the fateful night caused a effect similar to a day with a heat wave except it was causing a blockage to the iceberg which wasnt seen until it was too late...
I am not sure if I understand. Actually I am sure I don't :confused: Can you say it in different way please? Are you talking about fog?

zeon Wrote:I was saddenned also as an animal lover to learn that animals were drowned as they huddled in their cages... l know if i was to go abroad with my animals.... I would never allow them to spend a second in any cage...

I have never traveled with animals, but I believe they need to be in some sort of cages in airplanes too. I think long traveling by plane must be really stressful for cats and dogs.

zeon Wrote:I was told by my friend that they should leave it there as a mark of the dead however if that was the case why did they ressurect the Mary Rose???

First raising the Titanic from the bottom of the Ocean would be at best very difficult and expensive compared to raising the Mary Rose from the bottom of the Solent. Second no one alive today had close relatives on the Mary Rose and precious few are aware of distant ones. Third there was much to learn from a Tudor warship, we already have the designs and eye-witness accounts of the Titanic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

is it morally correct to sell the stuff off to the highest bidder when some items include peoples rings and chains = i love the titanics history but there was a relative on tv today saying they should give the items back to familys and not make profit off there reletives death ! i dont have a judgment either way but she did pose the question

Someone stated something about they thought there was not enough life boat as and to many people had to die which should not have. The Fact is that the Titanic did not have the required number of life boat for the size of the ship and did not believe that the needed the full number, well we know how that turned out.

As for the number of survivors should have been greater the life boats that where on the ship most where fill half way not sure of the exact number but i think they said another 2700 should have survived or could have.

matty7 Wrote:is it morally correct to sell the stuff off to the highest bidder when some items include peoples rings and chains = i love the titanics history but there was a relative on tv today saying they should give the items back to familys and not make profit off there reletives death ! i dont have a judgment either way but she did pose the question

I know it was just part of the movie but at the end when she dropped the jewel back into the ocean I teared up (actually I was bawling:biggrin: )...I would have done the same thing she did.

I hear sometimes the most arrogant amongst us humans insist that everything has a price...they are wrong.

I would not raise the Titanic. In my eyes...it is akin to digging up graves...so many people's final resting place. Let them rest in peace.

I am going to see it in 3-D when it comes out..this time I am going to bring my tissues and sit in the back...I hate it when I cry in the theatre and I have no warning.

I cried like a baby the first time so I'm sure I'll cry like one this time again.

dlboy53 Wrote:The Fact is that the Titanic did not have the required number of life boat for the size of the ship and did not believe that the needed the full number, well we know how that turned out..

The Titanic had the required number of lifeboats for the size of ship (tonnage) as specified in the Board of Trade regulations. The Titanic did not have as many lifeboat places as there were passengers, but that was true of many liners of the day. The Titanic was supposed to remain in such busy shipping lanes and would sink so slowly (if at all) that lifeboats would only be used as ferries to carry passengers to ships that came to her aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.