Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translating on the web
Google, this monster of a site has absolutely everything and if it doesnt then buys it. They also offer translating tools which i have been using everytime i need to translate something and is very good. Not massively accurate but good!

If you need a quick trnaslation on something here is the site to go. Has almost all the basic current languages.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Since I master French and English quite well, I will try it out, but so far I've not been impressed by machines and such tools. They may give you the gist, but are certainly not very literate (or maybe they are TOO literate, literally, hahaha [I actually mean LITERAL]. Lol. It may be easier to translate certain types of text such as instructions for machines etc but I'm not convinced that they'll do a good job of things concerning humour or human emotions. Sometimes these translators turn out gibberish, but, to give them credit they are only machines. I've seen human translations that were far worse and most inaccurate. This is where possibly the right spelling might be useful? Je ne veux pas remuer le couteau dans la plaie (= rub your face(s) in it ==> to stir / move the knife around in the wound (nasty image, like puttin salt on a sore spot))
(PA)

Ah no it is not too good for that. It just translates the words you have in a sentence thats it lol It is uswfull though. For example i used it today to translate some of drocko's blog , gives an idea!

Uhuh, you're right, I tried to read his blog without a translator but I guess my Spanish isn't too bad? After all the language is closer to French than to English, don't you think?
My immediate reaction, though, would be to stretch my hand out to get the paper dictionary... Habits die hard.
Mexicanwave

Yeah , close to italian too. i read his blog without a translator but then my eyes were getting tired so i translated and read in 2 mins.

Usually the stuff I need translating is in Japanese and Chinese, and the translator on my computer is useless. I have used google a couple of times and have found its translations much better.

I use Google translate quite often. When I'm writing in to people in French or German it does at least give me a start. Then I look through just in case I see anything that is very obviously wrong. I must admit though that, when I have used it to translate messages from Spanish or Portuguese speaking friends, the English translation is sometimes as incomprehensible to me as the original language :eek:

YYYYYYIIIIIKKKKKEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

Frightening. lol.