Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump asked Comey to drop investigation
[SIZE="4"]That is the investigation in to Michael Flynn and his links to Russia. More "fake news" of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39944520

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/...ing-white/[/SIZE]
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I keep telling the gal at the gas station, I hope you give me the winning ticket...

She's yet to follow up on my wish...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/opini...share&_r=0

Quote:But even if one adopted an unprecedentedly broad conception of bribery, Mr. Trump’s purported statement still would not violate Section 1510. The statute is designed to preserve the free flow of information, prohibiting only acts that obstruct investigators’ access to information. Bribery of a potential witness, for example, is behavior prohibited by Section 1510. But telling the F.B.I. director that someone is a “good guy” and expressing the hope that an investigation will cease does not obstruct the free flow of information.

Another, broader federal obstruction statute is Section 1505 of Title 18, but even this statute does not fit. Specifically, Section 1505 declares that anyone who “corruptly” endeavors to obstruct the proper administration of law “under which any pending proceeding is being had before any department or agency of the United States” is guilty of a felony. Even putting aside the difficulty of proving, beyond a reasonable doubt, that President Trump’s brief and generalized words evinced the necessary “corrupt” mind-set, Section 1510 applies only to a “pending proceeding.”

Principled objections to Mr. Trump’s policies and leadership style should not blind opponents to the dangers of repeated, knee-jerk calls for criminal prosecution of the president of the United States. Let the evidence unfold, and reserve serious charges if and when the evidence warrants it. Crying wolf undermines the credibility of the opposition, further divides an already deeply divided country and breeds cynicism about American institutions that is as dangerous to our republic, if not more, than outside meddling.

Oh give him more time...we're only 5 months into this freak show...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/...tigations/

Quote:“So if the Attorney General or senior officials at the Department of Justice opposes a specific investigation, can they halt that FBI investigation?” Hirono asked.

“In theory yes,” Comey answered.

“Has it happened? Hirono asked.

“Not in my experience,” Comey responded. “Because it would be a big deal to tell the FBI to stop doing something that — without an appropriate purpose.”

“I mean where oftentimes they give us opinions that we don’t see a case there, and so you ought to stop investing resources in it,” Comey said. “But I’m talking about a situation where we were told to stop something for a political reason, that would be a very big deal.

“It’s not happened in my experience,” Comey said.

Don't you find it odd that all these things happen? Flynn resigns, Comey gets fired....but they're all telling the truth. Nothing shady is going on with the Trump administration?
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...31a9d01daf

Better hope there aren't no Tapes!
Check out my stuff!

InbetweenDreams Wrote:Don't you find it odd that all these things happen? Flynn resigns, Comey gets fired....but they're all telling the truth. Nothing shady is going on with the Trump administration?

That's my point of view. I'm not as willing to act as mediator between people of different political views as you are - which is a noble role to take up. I'm done with that. And I'm done with trying to get Trump supporters to understand from my perspective or the perspective of the communities I identify with. I've got my reasons to feel that way and be ok with it, and I understand people on the opposite side probably feel the exact same way. Arguing doesn't bridge those gaps.

People have different experiences, identities, morals, priorities, political beliefs. I get that, in most cases I respect that. What bothers me though, is what I'm perceiving as some people blindly following and defending Trumps every move, accepting the blurring of the line between facts and alternative facts - that the phrase alternative facts has even entered our lexicon- and of trying to deligitimize or silence the press, the judicial branch... anyone or thing that dares to question Trump. It is the role of the people and the press and the other branches of the government to do exactly that. That is how we keep the power of the executive branch in check. It doesn't work if people arent checking it.

Honestly I'd feel much more comfortable with people on the other side of the political spectrum if I saw them being as critical of him as they are of their political opponents. To admit that this is some shady shit and deserves to be looked into. To admit that Trump does and says things that are highly questionable and potentially dangerous. Especially with republicans having control of the three branches, id feel reassured to see that people are exercising critical thinking even when it comes to their own party. But I just am not seeing that. The wilder he behaves the deeper they dig in their heels.

I get the feeling that many people just like stirring shit. They like playing devils advocate, they like upsetting all the precious snow flakes of the world, and they get off on the feeling that they are smarter or have these powers of manipulating the emotions of others. To feel special and unique for holding the unpopular opinion. It's a game. Trolls. I don't respect that. As a very serious person with deeply held passions and beliefs, I hate that shit. But I get it.

And whether all of this is illegal or not is besides the point. Legal or not - is this shady, is this dangerous, is this questionable, is this how we really want our leader, the supposed leader of the free world, to conduct himself and the responsibilities of his office? Trump has long walked that line between legal and not, has managed to live within the loop holes - and brag about his ability to do so. From where I'm standing it's like he's cast a spell. Im trying to make sure that half this country isn't completely under its command. I'm just asking for some reassurance from his supporters and sympathizers, that if he ever does call our bluff on shooting someone on 5th Ave - or the political equivalent of it - and being able to get away with it, that we as a country can count on them to not actually stand by and let him get away with it.