Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to replace a program through registry - what am I doing wrong?
I wanted to replace the Windows Notepad with Notepad++ using the registry, so that when I choose "Open with... Notepad", the file to be opened with Notepad++. I already have one replaced program for which the reg file works like a charm and I assumed the new replacement would work in a similar way. But there was no notepad.exe key in the registry

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

so I decided to create one. Which I did and I also added the full address to notepad++.exe. But when I try to test the result by opening a simple txt file, Windows tries to open notepad.exe using Notepad++ (not the txt file I chose but notepad.exe) which, as you can imagine, results in spaghetti on the screen, not to mention the error it displays. Which ever button I choose, next thing on screen is another tab (besides notepad.exe tab with the spaghetti) which is named "Files" and which is empty.

[Image: 687474703a2f2f777777322e7069632d75706c6f...302e706e67]

What am I missing?
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.

Can't you just right click the txt files and select open with... and put notepad++ as default?

Cuddly Wrote:Can't you just right click the txt files and select open with... and put notepad++ as default?

I second this option. Not to break your line of work or anything, as no doubt you've obviously put a lot of effort into this already, but this is as simple as blowing bubbles.

If you have the two different programs installed (Notepad obviously is defaulted for your OS, but I've never heard of Notepad++ but I'm guessing you obviously have that installed), right click on the original Notepad and scroll down to the "Open with..." tab, and from that drop-down menu select "Choose Default Program". From there you can browse the computer's directories until you find the program you want to 'replace' Notepad with.

Not sure why you'd want to replace it anyway, as it's a hard-coded piece of software that comes default with Windows. And by hard-coded, I mean you have to go into the registry (as you have done) to modify it. It's not an easy process one way or another, so kudos to you for going that extra mile.

However it really is a simple method. Not quite sure why you'd want to modify system files just to 'replace' a program.

That's just me though. I'm sure you have your reasons, but, yeah.

[MENTION=20359]Cuddly[/MENTION], @meerkat, the most of the time that way works but sometimes Windows (for unknown reason) decides it will open a certain file extension only with the system notepad and completely ignores my choice. I know how to associate a program to an extension but when Windows decides to ignore my choice, even that doesn't change anything. So I hoped that if I can set up a debugger for notepad.exe in the registry, Windows fill finally understand I don't want the stupid miserable integrated notepad.exe.
Arch Linux, Core i7 4770, GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, 32GB DDR3 RAM
home is where root is.