Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US defence secretary: Repeal of military gay ban could take years
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/gaymilitary.jpg[/img2]US defence secretary Robert Gates has suggested that repealing the ban on gays and lesbians serving openly in the military could take years - and implied it might not happen at all.

Speaking at the Army War College yesterday, he urged a cautious approach over the issue, saying: ""If we do it, it’s important that we do it right, and very carefully.’’

When asked by an officer about the policy, he said it was a "complex and difficult problem".

Gates also cited the example of racial integration in the 1940s, saying that it took five years for be completed.

He said that gauging opinion on the issue was a particular problem: "To get people’s real feelings about it, you have to have almost a one-on-one private conversation.

"I think it’s very difficult for people to speak in front of their peers about this issue.’’

Gates reiterated President Barack Obama's support for changing the law, saying: "The president has made it clear where he wants to go."

The 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy was introduced in 1994 and allows gay men and women to serve in the military as long as they keep their sexual orientation secret and do not engage in any homosexual acts.

President Clinton found himself embroiled in a fight with Congress over gays in the military soon after he moved into the White House in 1993.

As a Presidential candidate he had promised to allow gays to serve, but when he took office he was forced to accept the present policy in the face of military and Congressional opposition.

Many military officials, including General John Shalikashvili, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President Clinton, now believe that gays should be allowed to serve openly.

The current chairman, Admiral Mike Mullen, said an interview after his December meeting with Barack Obama in Chicago:

"He's been pretty clear that he wants to address this issue.

"I am certainly mindful that at some point in time it could come."

According to the Servicemembers Legal Defence Network, nearly 12,500 servicemen and women have been discharged under it since its implementation.

It is estimated that up to 45,000 Americans have been discouraged from joining or remaining in the armed forces.
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Difficult to read this one. There are two possible audiences for the story, if the administration is planning on back-pedalling on its commitments then this sort of story is part of the process of lowering expectations of your supporters. However its seems a little early in office for deciding to give up. The alternative is that they are trying to persuade the military to accept the change, and you don't persuade by saying its happening anyway regardless of what they think. Obama is mindful of the experience of Bill Clinton, who was forced to accept the 'Don't ask, don't tell' compromise.

I however favour a third possibility. The economic downturn means that setting the Defence Budget for the next few years will be especially difficult with much argument, the administration may have decided there is only so much argument they can have with the military at once so have decided to put the repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell' on the 'back-burner'.

Time will tell which of these possibilities is correct.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Ths is an issue that I live everyday. I personally think that regardless of President Obamas opinions or orders if the US militrary is ordered to integrate gays, leasbians, bisexuals and transgenders the vast majority of the US military will object to it and that objection will be seen in the treatment of those who come out with the anouncement.

The United States Military has always been an accurate micrcosm of the United States society at large, and I don't think the the United States society at large is ready to accept unlimited homosexual rights. Maybe if we have the right leadership for a few years, as we hope President Obama will provide.

In a few years if President Obama has his way we as a society may be ready, but I think it will take longer than that.

I personally think it will take my entire lifetime, but I'm a pessimist

I hope that in my lifetime I see global acceptance of GBLTism, but I don't
expect it.
Richard

Being an optimums I think the time is now and long over due. It is a civil right issue the right issue, there is no better time to right the sins of the past like the present .

[COLOR="Purple"]It is way too early to honestly say what will happen in four years but... I do think that, if we can get a fair election, Obama will win another four years.

As we all know, eight years can bring enormous changes with one USA president - good or bad.

Obama has to try to first make over the USA in a NON-conservative/repub 8 year way!

It looks like Obama is very very carefully covering all his bases. He has chosen an amazing group of open gays in many important positions, very smart moves all over the place to get things prepped for ch ch ch changes![/COLOR]

Richard,

I accept your superior knowledge about the facts on the ground (as opposed to in Washington), but, obviously, I hope you are wrong. I will point out something that surprised me, when the UK decided to drop its military gay ban it turned out to be something of a non-event. If we can drop the ban without too much difficulty perhaps the US can too?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Richard,

I accept your superior knowledge about the facts on the ground (as opposed to in Washington), but, obviously, I hope you are wrong. I will point out something that surprised me, when the UK decided to drop its military gay ban it turned out to be something of a non-event. If we can drop the ban without too much difficulty perhaps the US can too?
Way to go fredv3b. I totally agree with you!