Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US gets snow, declares state of Emergency
LOL, so this is over an inch of snow Biggrinflip

Many cities and states declare impossible road conditions, and several including Virginia declare states of emergency

[Image: scraping122way_wide-a9f2087d2fd86643879e...40-c85.jpg]
(If anyone cares, I would be really happy if my college parking lot had this little snow)

Headline: "Crippling,' 'Paralyzing': Southern Storm"
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014...m=facebook

For context, a really bad storm in Canada:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ameri...rm_of_1998

But there's ice everywhere it's so scary...
Despite the extreme response, it does sound like the kind of storm that sometimes starts winter for real up here (and that's weird!) -- so if anyone lives in related areas actually do be careful, especially since your municipalities might not be able to plow/sand the roads. If you have icy steps you can use table salt on them to help them melt if you've no road salt, drive slowly because a lot of ice is invisible (and increase distance between you and the car in front of you, you will slide a bit!!!), carry an emergency blanket, perhaps some food, and a shovel in your car just in case you get trapped in a storm (...if it's that bad I take back my lol). If your car gets stuck in snow using sand or a slide of cardboard can help its tires regain traction. Obviously have candles/flashlights for if the power goes out... Some people buy back up generators for if the power goes out in the winter (for electric heat), but I highly doubt that this would be needed.

I'll throw this in too (something I don't see mentioned a lot is that if the ground is covered in an icy sheet, sometimes not even lifting your feet when you walk works nicely):
[Image: k-bigpic.jpg]

Hopefully it melts fast, and the south is warm next winter like it normally is. But if not, can I giggle at these headlines again? 1blue1

Some say we're getting up to three feet down here in East-Central New York... I haven't even started digging out my car from our last storm Sad I'm screwed lol

Were supposed to get 20 inches here , Thats more than we got all winter last year. Hope the power dont go out , but let the snowball fights begin.

My area is supposed to get another 6-10 inches of snow, starting late tonight into tomorrow. Smile

According to the news, we've had over a foot of snow so far this winter.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I drove to the store in twice as much 'state of emergency' yesterday. Yeesh.

The ONLY emergencies this country has are too many morons running loose, and most of them in political offices!!

As someone from the Upper Midwest, I am horrified by the profound stupidity of these people who cannot prepare for the inevitable snow shower

The South always has and always will get some snow. It's totally normal for this area to get snow but it's so infrequent that they don't realize it.

This is the same of what happens with some folks here when it rains too much

southern folks (the South of Chile is pretty much non-stop rain throughout the year, although it's less in summer) say they make such a big deal out of it.

It always happens when you are not accustomed to a certain weather condition. People are going to make a fuzz over what seems to be little for those who are more frequently in these types of weather

Haha funny you say this, as here in Britain were one step away from a state of emergency. We're as I speak been battered by 75mph winds here and over 108mph over in the north west causing a lot of damage and bringing the transport network to a halt. On top of that much of the south and south west is underwater with more rain added today and a lot more to come on Friday. Gotten so bad the've deployed the army to assist (that never happens here really) so looks like we're both in for a rough time!!!

I dont think over a foot of snow is the norm here . Throws a snow ball and hits the midwesterner in the balls. LOL ok the stupid comment i will forgive you not everyone in the south isnt prepared.