Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US politics, justify being a gay republican
LOL when did this become about American history? i hate political debates unless i'm in the same room with the person

I fail to see how corruption is part of the human experience it's wrong and they know it's wrong yet they do it anyway; it makes zero sense to me

As for the voting bit, i didn't say i didn't believe in it but when i got to pick between bush or kerry there both morons (yes even kerry-when you go out and say "hey if you don't go to college you'll end up in the military" that's a slap in the face,especially when i'm serving in a combat zone, which is as bad as a gay soldier getting booed [although i think said soldier is a retard; i can't make an accurate judgment call without knowing more]), it'd be like telling someone who would you rather vote for hilter or stalin or c none of the above, as for HP and walmart taking over highly unlikely, them influencing the government from the sidelines sure, it already happens

as for the last bit, obama didn't do squat as an illinois senator, but was pretty anti-gun, and when you start talking to the UN about signing a treaty, the same treaty the UN signed with australia that deprived their citizens from privately owning guns, that sends up a red flag. the treaty is important because if the US president signed it, it would be come law and i'm not giving up my right to own a gun. now i realize that the probability of him actually signing it is pretty low as it would start a civil war but still i wouldn't but it passed him to try and restrict my right to bear arms some how.

pellaz Wrote:Glock30
the US can not be the police force for the world. if only for one thing we are running out of money/ credit.

I quite agree. I have a tendency to state the facts as they are, rather than to simply support a political ideology.

Inchante Wrote:...

Capitol Punishment: Capitol Punishment at this time falls under States Rights, which means the states have jurisdiction to write their own laws about the death penalty. Some states allow it, others do not.

Education: This topic is mute in the United States, as education is compulsory to all individuals between the ages of 5 and 16-17, depending on the state in question.

If you don't mind, Inchante, I'd prefer you to call it by its name: CAPITAL punishment... Nothing to do with the Capitol.... Not even the President can save someone on death row if the law of the state includes capital punishment (viz Trent Davis).

princealbertofb Wrote:... If you don't mind, Inchante, I'd prefer you to call it by its name:CAPITAL ... not... Capitol ...

a spelling Nazism is really low thing boo and Offtopic

Its not that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

princealbertofb Wrote:If you don't mind, Inchante, I'd prefer you to call it by its name: CAPITAL punishment... Nothing to do with the Capitol.... Not even the President can save someone on death row if the law of the state includes capital punishment (viz Trent Davis).

Considering the horrendous use of language I see on here everyday, I wonder why you would chose to pick on mine?

I think your willingness to pick on a spelling mistake stems from the fact that you don't like what I am saying, but are unwilling to challenge it based on facts or evidence.

"I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling-book has been a doubtful benevolence to us."
- Mark Twain's Autobiography

pellaz Wrote:OrpanPip
No, I think every country deserves to be bashed ... all have upsides in their own special ways.

in the US there were a lot of states that prevented the ladies from voting up till 1970. if you look which states held out so long, its mostly along the lines of those states with low economic opportunity and social exposure (few passports, junk education), and high fundamentalist religion.

Well I was referring to governmental systems and issues of social justice at a state level (not in the american sense of state though).

For example, we can look to something like the centralized democracy of the Chinese Communist Party, and the downsides from our Liberal Democratic perspective are obvious on the issues of civil liberties, not to mention the problems of corruption. However, the CCP has a certain ability to create rapid change in a way that would be inconceivable for a liberal democratic society, and there are times where having that ability can be a good thing.

More broadly, I was speaking of the different forms of democratic government that exist. Like the fused executive of the current British system vs. the division of powers in the American system. I happen to think a fused executive is a better form of government in most cases, but this is not a matter of anti-Americanism. I also think that the plurality vote system, which is common to both the British and American systems, has weakness in comparison to proportional representation, like what is common in Northern Europe.

While people are welcome to argue that the US has the best government system that has ever and will ever exist, I think there are several cogent arguments out there to support different democratic systems. These systems all have flaws and benefits. One of the obvious flaws to the American division of powers is the potential for it to grind to a halt under the right political circumstances. Now it has several benefits as well, depending on how strongly you feel about the need for regional representation or what the best way to limit the powers of an elected executive are.

There really hasn't been much American bashing in this thread, some Republican bashing though.

Inchante Wrote:Considering the horrendous use of language I see on here everyday, I wonder why you would chose to pick on mine?

I think your willingness to pick on a spelling mistake stems from the fact that you don't like what I am saying, but are unwilling to challenge it based on facts or evidence.
Bit of a...large assumption about someone who has said ZILCH until now.:confused:

Relax.
PA does that sometimes.Rolleyes
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:Bit of a...large assumption about someone who has said ZILCH until now.:confused:

Relax.
PA does that sometimes.Rolleyes

No, not really, as I have yet to see him post anything concerning some very bad usages of grammar and spelling on GaySpeak made by others. Yet, for some reason, he suddenly feels the need to make a correction about an "o" and an "a" on a thread that he had previously not posted a word on.

I would say concluding that the sudden change in his behavior results, not from the spelling itself but from the content of the message, is a very logical and rational inference.

I am not angry about it. I am just pointing out the most likely reason for his criticism.

PA does just randomly correct people at times, I think it's in his nature as an English teacher.