Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uganda
... and from today's Independent comes this indictment of the behaviour of Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, that compares his quick response to ordination of a lesbian bisop in the USA with his deafening silence over the Uganda issue.
Quote:...for a man who made his reputation as one of Anglicanism's leading liberal catholic theologians: he swiftly condemns liberal Americans for being too tolerant, and yet feels forced to remain silent over a rank and brutal inhumanity.

Critics from both sides have unkindly quipped that Dr Williams has boldly nailed his colours to the fence. He may find that preferring unity to truth will not be possible much longer.

This probably feels like I'm flogging a dead horse, but I've just read this review of a show by the odious dancehall singer, Beenie Man. Could it be that the only gigs he can get in the world to spout his homophobic bile these days is in places like Uganda? The review of his show at the Kyadondo Rugby Club reported the following:
Quote:The King of Dancehall stuck a sword of words into gay people through singing and talking.
“In my family, we don’t have any gay person but if you’re gay, my brother that’s not my fault,” he said as he performed his song Mi Nah Wallah, in which he says he would like to cut the throats of all gay men.

Interesting that he seems to think that being gay is someone's fault. Loathsome man :mad:

Its terrible!

I swear if that Bill gets passed i am so going to be ANNOYED because theyre targeting a minority. Those butt plugs, i swear someone should slap the Uganda government with a monster dick and beat them down with it until they see sense or turn gay lol! Tongue

JACOB-GABRIEL Wrote:Its terrible!

I swear if that Bill gets passed i am so going to be ANNOYED because theyre targeting a minority. Those butt plugs, i swear someone should slap the Uganda government with a monster dick and beat them down with it until they see sense or turn gay lol! Tongue
I don't think that will help much. Many years of political instability, despotic leadership and corruption at all levels, HIV/AIDS (which I believe they have had some success at tackling), not to mention the convenience of a colonial past to blame and various religious afflictions contribute to a very complicated picture. Of course, we all know the gays caused it all :mad:

Could this be why the Archbishop of Canterbury is still silent?

Unbelievable. If there is any truth in this article then God's army of evil is truly out of control. The cycnic in me thought that money had to be changing hands somewhere, but this ... I don't have the words to explain :mad:

Quote:a charismatic pastor named Martin Ssempa. The head of the Makerere Community Church, a rapidly growing congregation, ... is a favorite of the Bush White House. In the capitol of Kampala, Ssempa is known for his boisterous crusading. Ssempa’s stunts have included burning condoms in the name of Jesus and arranging the publication of names of homosexuals in cooperative local newspapers while lobbying for criminal penalties to imprison them.’ ...

Joining Ssempa at Warren’s church were two key Bush administration officials who controlled the purse strings of the president’s newly minted $15 billion anti-AIDS initiative in Africa, PEPFAR. Ugandan first lady Janet Museveni also appeared through a videotaped address to tout the success of her country’s numerous church-based abstinence programs…’

(From a blog by Anne Mugisha)

This is on the website of the Media Centre of the President of Uganda. I think it gives an interesting insight into some of the views of the Ugandan government.

Dr Cameron who is mentioned in the statement, is a notorious anti-gay 'researcher'. If you wish to learn more about him I would suggest here.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Thanks, Fred. What a piece of work!

This article is quite heart-rending. I cannot imagine what people are going through in the witch-hunts going on in these countries. The fact that they are doing this in the name of their religious belief is a sick joke too. I would have thought that Rowan Williams would have had something to say ... maybe he's forgotten what his "saviour" is once supposed to have once said (as recorded in the 25th chapter of Matthew),
Quote:"41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

That two men sealing their love and commitment in a civil partnership ceremony in London can have a devastating effect on their families in Kenya is awful. That, of the eighty countries in the world where homosexuality is a criminal offense, forty of them are members of the Commonwealth is an outrageous and disgraceful legacy of our colonial past. That we in Britain have denied asylum to glbt people and have actually sent folk back to these oppressive situations is inhumane.

Michael Senyonjo is a Ugandan human rights activist and political analyst. His piece on the proposed anti-gay legislation makes very reasoned reading. We have heard many times the words of African leaders who try to explain homosexuality as un-African. Mr Senyonjo addresses this in his article
Quote:Surprising to radio and TV reporters around the world is the number of Ugandans ordinary and high profile who seem to support this bill. The answer to this one is always simple and the same. “Let’s not forget that Idi Amin’s coup in 1971 was popular, so was his decision to expel 72,000 Ugandan Asians a year later. Saddam Hussein’s invasion of Iran and Kuwait in 1981 and 1990 respectively were popular moves, as was Slobodan Milosevic’s decision to massacre 8000 Kosovars and cleanse Kosovo of its Albanian population. Hitler’s policy to exterminate Jews was popular at that time. Such radical, extremist and discriminatory decisions have had devastating consequences for the countries concerned. Every country has demons that are best left asleep. The leadership in Uganda is trying to rally the country on an issue that is best left asleep because there are already enough laws against it.

Furthermore, Buturo and Bahati argue that homosexuality is anti-Christian and against the rules of the Bible. Are we a Taliban country now ruled by religion? What if I’m a Ugandan and not Christian? Uganda has over 50 religions and as many tribes. Therefore, laws based on religion can only divide the country. Wasn’t Christianity brought to Africa from Europe anyway? So Bahati wants to outlaw what he perceives to be an “un-African” behavior with reasoning based on an “un-African” religion! Have the proponents of this bill listened to their arguments?
more

Here he is at a recent demonstration in London

Oh jolly good, it looks like President Museveni has decided that he does not think that gays should be sentenced to death in Uganda, merely imprisoned for life instead! To coin a phrase from one commentator, that Uganda has even been considering these measures puts it beyond the pale. In a true example of following his Lord and Saviour Pastor Soloman Male, the chairman of Arising for Christ, said, "If Museveni manages to convince parliament to drop the anti-gay bill, that will be the worst tragedy to befall Uganda." Nothing like a bit of perspective is there? :mad:

The Catholic church in Uganda has said it supports the bill but not the death penalty provision.

So that's all right then! Damn them.

more